1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where do you hang Flyers??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bkramer0057, Oct 6, 2004.

1. bkramer0057

bkramer0057 LawnSite Member

Hey guys and gals,

Im new to posting on this website, but I have gained a lot of useful information from you folks that has saved me some serious time and money LOL.

I run a small company..approx. 60 res. clients with 5 commerical accounts. Not bad for my second year. I have had success with flyers in the past. I usually have put them in grocery stores on the free ad display, and on as many public bulletin boards as I could find.

My question is...where do you put your flyers? Is there a certain place in your area that proves to be effective? I was thinking about placing them on car windshields also this fall. But the first thing that comes to my mind is annoying. What do you think?

Bear with me!! Last question!! =D I was thinking about narrowing my target market to senior citizens. In your area, where do seniors often hang out? I was thinking about the YMCA or area cafeteria's...only thing is I would have to be out of bed by 4:30 a.m. to catch them at the early bird. :sleeping:

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks alot!!
  2. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

I definitely wouldn't put them on windshields, can end up with a ticket for littering, or being required by the police to come back and pick them all up, either result really can suck. Best place to put fliers is on each house that you would like to add to your route, this way you can also tighten up your route. If you really want to target senior citizens, I would ask around and find a senior citizens center, to put up fliers. Another avenue for advertising several cities have newsletters geared toward the seniors that you can advertise in. You may consider offering to give a talk on lawn care at a local senior citizens center.
  3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Why senior citizens? Seems like they don't have too much expendable income.
  4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

i definitely wouldn't put them on cars. my own view is that i don't want anyone touching my car and would make a mental note of who the flyer is from.

another reason not to: when i was going to school (Ohio St.), there was a group that was putting ficticious flyers on cars, and were simply casing them. they used multi-color papers, and would mark a prospective car with a certain color. finally got caught, but pretty slick.

lawnworks, that's a stereotype that may cost you some money. guess it depends on your area. in my area, that would be a fatal assumption as seniors have more disposable income than most. there's a word for it my generation will never know, but i hear it's called a "pension".

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If you put them on windshields, you don't know where the owner lives. Much more effective to pass them out in the neighborhoods you want to target. Putting them on the front door is more effective but more time-consuming.

Another thing with windshields, you may run into trouble with the owner of the property (parking lot that is) I know a real estate agent that did this at a big mall one time. She got a call from the mall management, telling her to come back and clean up all the flyers that blew all over the lots, or they would do it for her and bill her ;)
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

There should be some local Senior newsletters where you are. I can think of one around here called "Acitve Seniors". I try to target areas and you can still do that with neighborhood newsletters. Also, I did a mailing of postcards in the spring. You can purchase mailing list and narrow it down to age groups, income, zip codes, home owners, property value and so forth. I didnt get a very good response rate from those though. For 5000 postcards I spent around $2k.....that was for the design of postcard, mailing list, print and mailed. For the same price I can hit about 15,000 homes with newsletters.
  7. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i dont think i could ever bring myself to do a paid mailing, at least not until my biz is way off thr ground.

I just dont see it profitable, and their is alot of risk (being that you will lose all of what you spent with no return)

Walker-Talker provd it, you can hit alot of houses with free newsletters and have a much better turnout, than with paid mailings.
  8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi bkramer0057,

How about handing out flyers to the neighbors of the houses you already service?
  9. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Agree on the risk,, at least get references on the list provider. I got a letter in the mail selling some product last week addressed to the guy I bought my house from 5 years ago. Whatever list they used was obviously out of date.

I have 1000 doorhangers to put out for my pressure washing service & have put out some already, but it is very time consuming. I asked my postmaster the other day about putting them on the mailbox POST & he said technically that was ok, but some of the carriers might remove them. So I might try that on a couple of subdivisions anyway
  10. derekdoubleut

derekdoubleut LawnSite Member

How about your church? Seniors can't get enough church.
    I'm no Bible Thumper, but that's my plan. What better way to expose yourself as an honest and trustworthy business person?