Where do you keep your equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pilotcoplawnboy, Oct 7, 2004.

1. pilotcoplawnboy

pilotcoplawnboy LawnSite Member

I just built a new house and now I am planning on building a storage building. What size building do any of you have? I was wanting to build a 10x16 but my wife says it would be too big for our backyard. After laying it out with 2x4's, she was right. I know some people keep their mowers in the garage, but I don't like to crowded driveway look. If any of you have pics of your building, could you post them? Thanks................... :drinkup:
  2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

10x16? My trailer wouldn't even fit in that! Get a mini storage building somewhere. I have a three car garage that is 26' deep and it still isn't big enough. I ended up geting a ministorage unit that is 18x40 with a 15' tall door (the roll bar on my mower plus the trailer height was too tall for an ordinary door)...that's the right size. I have two trailers and shelves all the way down one side and some room to spare...$100/month well worth it!
  3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

nice website btw! :)
  4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If you are going to put up a storage building...make it much bigger than what you think you need. Everyone that I know who has built a pole barn or storage building wishes they had made it a lot bigger.

If you have the room to build it big...by all means do so. I don't know of anyone with too much storage space.
  5. simsy71

simsy71 LawnSite Member

Luckily my Dad has a barn that I keep everything in.
  6. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 30x30 I keep mine in. No matter how big you build it you will fill it up...
  7. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

I have a 42 X 64 Pole barn with a 10 X 32 lean too. It gets pretty full in the winter With my Hydro-seeder, dump Truck, Tractor and mowing stuff.

You will never think you built it too big.

8. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

10 feet wide sounds good until you try to walk by the trailer or even grab a trimmer off the rack. Also, there won't be enough room to get your mowers off the trailer without hooking it up to the truck and pulling it out. That'll get old quick.
  9. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 30x30 shop with 2-14x30 leanto's plus one of those portable carports and still have equipment outside.
    I think 40x160 should be about right but I would probably fill that up to.
  10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm WORKING on building a 50'x100', AND a 40'x60', those'll be full by the time I drive the last nail.

Right now, everything that doesn't have an engine sits outside my 20'x40x.