where do you park your trailer? and if you pay for storage, how much per month?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by maui8, Dec 6, 2005.

1. maui8

maui8 LawnSite Member
    from nj

just got off the phone with zoning and it appears that storing a trailer is against the law. just wondering where everyone stores their trailer? i called public storage and they quoted me 76 bucks a month for a 10x20 parking spot.

thanks,

2. maui8

maui8 LawnSite Member
    from nj

actually i found another spot for an enclosed garage unit for a 10x10 for 115 a month.

i guess that doesnt sound to bad?

3. maui8

maui8 LawnSite Member
    from nj

another question: what do you guys prefer, enclosed or open trailer for a small solo operation?

4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

First Question: I don't know what a good price would be I keep all of my stuff at my shop location. However, I would like to know the answer to this question as well. Where did you get these prices from?

Second Question: They both have there pro's and con's. Open: Pro: Less expensive, easier to clean, easier to see around when driving etc. Con: you have to unload every night and need additional storage space. Enclosed: Pro's: Traveling billboard, machinery out of the weather, and you can keep your equipment in it overnight. Con's: More expensive, more difficult to clean, more difficult to see around when driving, etc.

5. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

If your trailer is 10' long then you need about 15' for storage. Don't forget to include the tongue and all of that. You also need just a little extra so that you don't have to park it exactly perfectly each time in order for it to fit.

6. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I assume that you own your own home. Why not put that other $115 that you were thinking of spending toward a home with a garage. It seems like that would be better all around.

7. maui8

maui8 LawnSite Member
    from nj

Hey trinity,

heres a list of storage places.

http://www.njssa.org/gloucester.html

8. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Thanks Maui8.

9. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I'm glad I don't live in NJ. 10' wide spot about 45 foot long costs us $30 per month. Lockable self-storage- 10 x 15 is only $65.

But- become a real estate investor, Buy a property that has a house on the front with a space big enough to build a garage out back and rent the house to a tenant and rent the garage to your business. (be sure to have separate drives). Rehab the house in the winter.
    Don't know if there is room in Jersey to do this but it worked great for me.
    I now rent the whole thing to me (business) as I needed the parking and have moved all office space to the house.

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I pay $235 a month for a 10x20 shed. I don't understand their pricing...local storage prices have skyrocketed in the last few years. They keep building more facilities, yet many of them have high vacancies. One place I looked at the manager said less than half the units were rented.

Still, it's preferable to having everything stolen from my driveway.