Where do you put grass clippings and tree trimmings?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CommercialSnow, Apr 23, 2011.

1. CommercialSnow

CommercialSnow LawnSite Member

We have a pile starting and Im planning on throwing something(don't know what) on them to help it compost. However, Id rather just get rid of them for cheap. Hoping to see the variety of options on where to get rid of these grass clippings and tree branches..

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

land fill, farmers property, burn pile at your buddies place. It depends. I have multiple places to dump for free outside of going to the landfill which is only $5 a load. I can usually take my pick to whichever is closest to the job and dump it there. Can you burn it?

3. we have plenty of sink holes and ditches around.

4. sureg1

sureg1 LawnSite Member

I used a local mulch company. They charge ten bucks for a truck and trailer full of whatever (limbs, grass, leaves, stumps or any yard related item). They of course chip it up and use for mulch in the future, but at least I know its being reused. There are several locations in my area. Check out the yellow pages and call around.

5. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Around me it is very expensive to get rid of debris. I pay $5 per yard to dump. Its the same price for everything. The guy composts the grass and leaves, and he chips any brush for mulch.

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i don't bag but i burn tree limbs and shrub limbs etc. in my backyard...i live outside city limits so it's legal...inside city limits it's illegal to burn in your yard...if your customer is inside city limits you can leave the limbs or grass or whatever by the road and the city will pick it up...i guess that varies depending on where you live.

7. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

You have a pile?
    Do you have an old trailer you can dedicate to dump loads?
    If it doesn't dump, put a big tarp on the floor and
    when it's full, tow it to the dump.

Organize it so that you leave the branches out until you go to the dump and put them on top. That way it's easier to remove them.

Big branches I make into fire wood for my home.

I also live on a farm where I can dump leaves and whatever if I want, and I usually do.
    If I have to use a dump, there is a transfer station 2 clicks from here. It costs
    $75 a metric tonne....that works out to twenty some-thing bucks for a truck and trailer load of debris usually.

If it's leaves, I just spread them around the property. I try to use them to choke out the blackberries so I don't have to use pesticides at home.

8. poncho62

poncho62 LawnSite Member

I till my leaves into the garden, but I dont have a whole lot

9. FuturePilot4u

FuturePilot4u LawnSite Senior Member

i just go fast on the highway and let them be sombody elses problem...

10. Down here the waste company picks up all debris weekly so I leave it curbside...there are some developments that you have to take away but I'm not in those hoods yet.
    Posted via Mobile Device