1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where do you put your flyers

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by mowerdude777, Mar 14, 2010.

Where do you put flyers in this situation

1. Put them at the front door

41 vote(s)
  2. Put them at the mailbox

19 vote(s)
  3. Both

10 vote(s)
  1. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

Well I pass out fliers in two neighborhoods for the most part, and one has a mail box at the curb of the homes where the other has mailboxes put on the porch or close to the house. I had always put the pliers on the curbside mail boxes until last year since it was my first year advertising in the other neighborhood I figured i will be walking there from house to house so I might as well put the fliers up at the door in the other neighborhood. I figured that puting fliers at the door would get more busnises and it did not, however I did land work in the other neighborhood where I had to walk to the door. I think I am just going to put fliers at the curbside mailbox in the one neighborhood, what do you do in this situation? Thanks- Ryan:waving:
  2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I suggest you read the postal regulations. It is illegal to put fliers in or on any mailbox in the USA.

Advertising on a mailbox or its supporting post is prohibited.

Our regulations cover what can and can’t be placed in a curbside mailbox or mailbox outside of your house, which generally includes only mail that has been sent through the USPS. However, our regulations don’t govern what can be placed in a mail slot on your door.
  3. mowerdude777

I worded my post a bit wrong sorry, I never put them inside the mailbox I either rubberband them to the handle of the mailbox, or if there is a news paper box on it I put in in there I think that is allright a lot of lcos around here do it that way
  4. It is against the law to put them in or on the mailbox. If i ever saw anyone messing with my mailbox, I would be pissed off.
  5. Darryl G

Yah, can't put on the mailbox either.
  6. mowerdude777

Well that sucks, I guess I now have to walk up to each house, I wonder why so many lcos get away with it though.
  7. the postmaster can fine you if you get reported. I guess some get away with it and some don't
  8. AbbottCon.

AbbottCon. LawnSite Member

we strictly do door hangers for that reason plus its fairly cheap and i think something made at a printing shop looks more professional anyways.
  9. SuperiorService.110mb.com

SuperiorService.110mb.com LawnSite Member

I never looked it up on the net but from expereance you can put them anywhere on (not in) the mail box you want as long as that door does not open. When I first started I had the cops called on me for putting fliers in the mailbox as I was 15 and just got my DL like two weeks prior and was trying to get out of the naborhood. The cop told me just not in and ever since never had a problem and even advertising companies put then on the box. Post Office owns inside the box not the box.:usflag:
  10. Darryl G

It is illegal to put advertising in or on any part of a mailbox or it's support. I suggest you read the regulations yourself or check with your postmaster if you don't believe me.