1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where do you put your flyers

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by mowerdude777, Mar 14, 2010.

Where do you put flyers in this situation

1. Put them at the front door

41 vote(s)
  2. Put them at the mailbox

19 vote(s)
  3. Both

10 vote(s)
  1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Cool! I don't have much use for anything that small around here unless I start going after the cottage lots...but most of them are little more than some clumps of grass and sand.

Early grats on the mower, and don't go parking it in front of any mailboxes, it's illegal to obstruct them you know. :laugh:
  2. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

A 32 will definitely get you into almost all gates and small opening. You will want a big one though on the open lots.
  3. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

it is against the law to touch someones mail box. just put them at the front door!
  4. electronics2667

electronics2667 LawnSite Member

Hey man this is the way we do our flyers, knock on the door first, then talk to the person face to face you will get more business that way the people wiil think you are serious about your business, if nobody answer the the door get you some door knob hanging bags. I think this is the right website address.They are pretty cheap here.
  5. Schu'sLawnDesign

Schu'sLawnDesign LawnSite Member

i had a newspaper route when i was a kid and the mail man told me it was illegal to even put the newspaper in the mailbox. stick with the door handle that way if the people see you, you get a chance to introduce yourself.
  6. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

So, I guess the question is what do you "legit" guys do?

Literally walk to every door? Send a bunch of flyers out with the postman? Ad's?

I'm going to have to stick to rubber band on the mailbox for now. No time or money to do the others. People in my area could care less. There is a new landscaping company flyer ON or IN my mailbox everyday.
  7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Why? If they were allowed to do it so would you. I never say anything to someone who tapes something on my mailbox. If I dont like what it is they are selling I toss it in the trash just like the junk mail inside the mailbox.

The way I see it is I had to walk to the mailbox anyway, no skin off my back. Now what would bother me is if every flyer they taped to the mailboxes fell off and littered my neighborhood.
  8. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I stick them in the door because there's just too many laws to mess with and too many people to piss off with the mailbox. Seems like no matter where you put it someone gets mad.
  9. kgcs

kgcs LawnSite Senior Member

If what I read is the exact wording of the regulation, I believe there is a loophole. It says "no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage". It does not state that it must be correct postage. You could put a one cent stamp on your flyer and put it on the mailbox, or for a matter of fact, inside it legally. Also, It does not state who must deliver it. So you would be able to do it yourself.
  10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Wrong! Next.