Where do you run your business from?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by edensgate7, Feb 26, 2012.

1. edensgate7

edensgate7 LawnSite Member

I have ran mine from my personal property with a few outbuildings in the country since I started but have always kept things seperate business and personal wise as far as money, office space, fuel, etc. matters. How many of you guys out there thinnk this is a good idea and why? Same question for those who run theirs out of a separate property with a shop.

2. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

I just turned 19 so when I say I used to run from my house I really mean my mom's house. I had office set up in my room and had shop in her third stall garage. It was cool always having everything right there but it felt like I was always at work and I couldn't go home and relax because id say "well I've got billing that needs done or this needs greasing" and it was impossible to get away and if I did I felt like I was slacking.

Recently, I took the opportunity for a former used car lot with a 30x60 building with 30x30 heated garage with drains,etc and two offices and a full bath. Its perfect. Great exposure too. The location is the value in the property. Busy one way road with 15k + cars on average day. I've got a big lit sign as well as signage on the building. I was hesitant at first about dishing out the money for rent, but the publicity, professionalism and new clients it has led me too is unbelievable. I'm in our downtown and am slowly becoming part of comittees and groups for our town (chamber of commerce, etc). It was a great choice and when I go home at night, I go home and relax, and leave work at the shop.

I've got some pictures in my dslnd 2011 thread. Check it out. I've looked at a couple of other used car buildings and they are great for lco's because they r setup for meeting with clients, washing and repairing cars and normally are in ideal locations.

I'm lucky because I don't have kids or health insurance to pay for which leaves more money for opportunities like this but if you can, look for places like this.

I'm in the process of getting a bulk material supply going to save time from running to nursery every time.

Mitch
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Not everyone has remote properties that they already own, can afford to buy or pay to rent.

So I will ask why waste profits on unneeded expenses?

Though everyone would be wise to keep their personal and business finances separate. Their money must not just be in separate accounts but in different banks.

4. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth LawnSite Senior Member

my main reason for purchasing land and building was capacity. we rapidly expanded with new trucks and equipment and quickly grew out of my backyard. i had a 1/2 acre lot in town with a separate 3 car garage that i used as our shop. 15 employees driving to work and parking in from of my neighbors homes and 24 hr snow clearing operations quickly made neighbors upset. i treated neighbors well by plowing and sanding our streets same day of big storms among other things, but this kind of thing only goes so far. we were way to big for a backayrd operation and needed to get an official and LEGAL location to run the business out of.

Doing this was a very good move. Suddenly we were on the radar for the big builders, etc. some of the customers that walked into our new office were not the type that would deal with a backyard business.

i hate to say it, but the move gave us more legitimacy inthe eyes of the general public. our sales reflected that.

5. Gr8WhiteNorth

A lot of big firms that hire for lawns, snow, and landscape construction may be using public money or are responsible if some fly-by-night contractor doesn't show and it results in an interruption of business.

when this type of customer sees you have a brick and mortar location in a properly zoned commercial or industrial location, they may a sense that you are a more serious player than the guy running out of his garage.

6. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

My sisters basement.

7. ALEX'S LANDSCAPING

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING LawnSite Senior Member

I run my business out of my really really tiny garage.

8. Gr8WhiteNorth

Another thought- if your business model allows, the sisters basement might be all you need. I know some contractors just bid public tendors, store equimpent onsite, and make employees drive their own vehicles to the site. Thats a pretty lean business, but it works and would be hard to compete against. Employees can just pickup their checks after hours. Maybe even score some milk and cookies if sister is in a good mood!

9. BOSS LAWN 2343

BOSS LAWN 2343 LawnSite Senior Member

Ran it out of my place since I started but the space is starting to close in on me. With the business growing and more equipment and vehicles, time to get a small shop. :weightlifter:

10. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

This is just a temp location. I am planning to move the operation to Grandmas once I can convince the state to haul her away. She is getting old and all.