Where do you see yourself / company in 5 years

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag52inch, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Scag52inch

Scag52inch LawnSite Member

Im sure this one has been done before but what do you see for your future? I would like to move my business into hardscapes. Mowing is turning into a pain with all the lowballers and I dont see it getting better any time soon.

2. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just working my way through college but I've actually built a quite profitable business. I plan on mowing one more full season and then selling everything for what I can. I guess I've just gotten tired of the whole mowing thing. In 5 yrs I want to have a few crews running concrete pumps for me while I'm out running my new boom pump. I like the idea of working for a contractor and not for the end consumer. There has to be fewer headaches involved. I also think hardscapes are a good way to expand.

3. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

broke, unemployeed, hungry, homless and tired. If iam lucky maybe alittle bit od debt. Hopefully bobby will hire me although my mexician isn't that good. lol

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i will still be mowing.its the most money maker in our biz. any one who dosnt see that dosnt know the buisness. grass will allways need to be cut. people dont relandscape every week.

5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not totally sure where I want to go with this in 5 years, but next year the goals are to expand to 60 weekly mowing customers, and get into doing more highend..more involved landscaping jobs.

I'm undecided as to if I want to expand into having crews or keep it solo. Thats where the 5 year mark will be, I will stay solo for at least the first 3 years, after that who knows where it will take me.

6. rodzilla94

rodzilla94 LawnSite Member

hopefully in five years i will have 2 or 3 crews running......fool32696 i do commercial contracting full time ( day job ) i have a swing concrete pump and 250' of 2" hose its good bis but do it by the hour and watch yourself contractors will try to fu%^ u in the hours your there . and have alot of money in the bank when you start most contracors will tell you that you will have to wait for your money when they turn in a pay request to the architect it might be a month or 2 before they pay you and its all legal for them to do that

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I heard that, I'm finishing out my 4th year solo and hired a few guys for a few days here and there over the years and you need the answers and only after 2-3 years will you know said answers...

I also am thinking 60 customers for me, it sounds like a solid number. I ran with 56 or 57 this spring and it was pretty tight but there was SOME slack even during the busiest part and I would like to see that slack gone, MIGHT can do 65 but hey, whew... Hate to say it but a part of it is going to increase prices a bit in addition to adding volume AND push-come-to-shove either pay more or ttyl on the usual loss leaders, i dunno why i always get these...

5 years from now? omg I could get run over by a truck tomorrow, who knows...
    By then I should have a split-axle power aerator and MAYBE a mini tractor with loader / back-hoe...
    MAYBE MAYBE a z, but definitely one more and likely TWO newer 48" proline 30197's
    Oh yeah, newer truck, definitely 90's or later I got to go efi and a/c would be nice.
    Ahhhh, and a third bmw, I have to, it is irresistible. That's IF the 2 i have now last until then... they should...

8. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I see myself nearly finished with college and being employed as a teacher, and continuing to expand by business as well.

9. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Winters in Florida, New Harley,New trucks,new Equipment, Same as now, Just more gray hair. Hopefully no change. (Life sucks huh?)

10. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Honestly, I think by my 5th year, I'd be happy to be bringing in a 50,000 a year profit but have a clientbase that is trouble free (no pita's, no late payers, all effiecent profitable accounts)

Goal is to turn 50,000 dollars profit by my 3rd year. so 2 years of improvements after that :D