1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where do you store your equipment

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by alternative, Apr 14, 2007.

1. alternative

alternative LawnSite Senior Member

How many keep their equipment at home, if feasable, and how many rent space and how many of you own commercial property? Just curious on how everyone does it.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

there is a poll about this somewhere i just saw it.
  3. Your Lawn First

Your Lawn First LawnSite Member

I have it home for now. soon will buy garage around the corner and run the business from there.
  4. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I own a house in the country that i have my grandmother living in and I use all the buildings for storage.
  5. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I store my Equipment at home but as soon as i find a good place i will be renting..
  6. kM427

kM427 LawnSite Member

At home on the trailer
  7. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Two miles down the road on a horse ranch
  8. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a shop building I built in 1991. It is 24 x 40 with and additional 10 x 24 awning with a concrete floor. The shop building is behind my house.

9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I started my own bus back in 1990. We paid $50 a month for a corner in a warehouse. One spray truck, bulk water tank filled by a garden hose, and dry fert to mix. Mid 90's, we bought a commercially-zone property (one acre with a "house". We lived in the house and used the rear portion for our offices. The following year, we built a 5000 sq ft warehouse in back which we still use today. It houses 8 pickup (300 gal) spray units and an 850 gallon tanker (split tanks/stainless steal). We can also pack in 80 ton of dry fert, snow plows, etc. Then about 6 years ago, we bought the property next door -- heated garage & office (it used to be a print shop). We subcontract our mowing...he rents a 4000 sq ft warehouse near downtown Des Moines. Many years, lots of hours, low pay, and alot sweat, but it paid off. Good thing, cuz I'm getting too old to do it all over again. LOL
  10. BlueShieldLawnCare

BlueShieldLawnCare LawnSite Member

Right now we keep our rider in the tool shed/ workshop that I built a few years ago, and all the other equipment in a small vinyl lawn shed right behind it. It's a huge pain in the a*s, though! Loading and unloading is a huge pain, and is very time consuming. We can't just back our trailer into the garage, bc we don't HAVE one! And we can't leave our equipment on the trailer bc it would get stolen! We are looking into a storage facility, and eventually want to build onto my workshop to store everything in there. Of course, it would be REALLY awesome to get big enough to afford to buy commercial property! But that's a few years down the road, I think!