where do you think the are industry will be in 10 years?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by polska, Oct 22, 2007.

1. polska

polska LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys I'm 22 and have been in business for 5 years. I'm afraid for the future in the industry with a ton of other companies out their and all the other lowballers. What do you think the future holds for us all?

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

thats a good question.

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I don't foresee anything getting any worse. Keep your customers more than satisfied.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I myself don't foresee things getting any better.

The state of the industry is what it is, a like it or not, we are in the minority.

I mean hell.... as of now, here there are 62,223 members that are interested enough and literate enough to join lawnsite. That's the very extreme few. Now, considering that, we still have lowballers, scrubs, etc among us here.

5. polska

how long have u guys been in business

6. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

You gotta keep in mind (residential) that what we do is very high on the luxury meter, most people we work for can do the work, they just don't have to.

Commercial/Industrial will still be buying, but price would be the only consideration. They could also move our work into their own maintenance dept. when things get real tight.

By the time it gets bad enough that biz isn't working.... chances of entering the job market will be.... none.

Keep your eyes open and have a plan B.

We are in trouble, the dollar is weak, and getting worse.
    Remember the big difference between US and Canadian prices?
    They have about $.025 (two 1/2 cents) to catch up before they are equal.
    1 CAD = 1.02453 USD

7. polska

I'm thinking about the plan B all ready. I want to have a secure future.

8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

It sounds negative because it is...

my guess is that prices will continue to stagnate around the 1 buck a minute mowing rate. minimums will still be 30-35 bucks. equipment will be more expensive, employees will be more expensive. gas will be 4 bucks a gallon or so, maybe higher. trucks , even good used, will be more expensive. advertising, trailers, tires, oil for mix, fertilier, plants, mulch, all will be more expensive. and yet service type lawn care will make less.

every other trade that services homes: plumbers, electricians, heating/cooling, appliance repair, handymen, roofers, tree guys, computer techs, stereo/home video techs, window guys, siding guys, and all other construction, write it down- WILL ALL BE CHARGING SUBSTANTIONALLY MORE THAN TODAY.

why? because every trade I listed above is charging at least 20-30 more dollars per hour than it did 10 years ago. all the above routinely make 80-125 dollars per hour per man.

look back at some of the posts on this site from 1999-2000. 8 years ago many folks were making a buck a minute. they never dreamed gas would be 3 bucks a gallon back in '99. they COMLAINED when gas was getting close to 1.50 per gallon. They paid folks 7-8 bucks an hour. a 21 inch commercial toro was 750 bucks not on sale. the average lawn was 30-35 bucks, and a 16 foot tandem axle trailer was repeatedly mentioned purchased for 600 bucks. lowballers were complained about. lots.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Wow... it's good to know I am not the only one who has noticed.

Actually the US Dollar already fell to the Canadian Dollar though.

Our dollars are not worth what they once were, neither here nor abroad.

To be honest, this is one of the things that has really been frustrating me lately. Although I increase my rates every year, it seems to be I just barely keep up with that. And it also seems that every time my numbers increase and I increase my own paycheck... well it seems some new expense comes along and gobbles that up.

I feel like I am spinning my wheels sometimes.

10. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I pretty much got my start in this business when I was in high school in 1988. I remember guys then saying that there was too much competition. The only difference (here at least) was this was before the huge influx of Hispanic workers. At that time, lawn crews were almost all young American guys. Hispanic guys took to the landscape work, and now many have their own businesses. So competition has increased probably ten fold, and just about everything is more expensive.
    I think that it isn't going to get any easier, and only the strong businessmen will survive. The work will still be there, as most people have less and less time to do yard work, as they are working hard to keep their heads above water, too.
    I am old enough to remember the last downturn in the economy here, in the early 90's when our defense companies were laying off large numbers of people, and people were leaving LI in droves. I really feel that the economy was worse then. We've had a decade of good times, and it is correcting itself, but I do believe it will get better.