Where does everyone have their shop at?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by hartmas, Sep 12, 2006.

1. hartmas

hartmas LawnSite Member

I have been running my business out of my garage but my business is growing and may have to rent a shed for a few years till I have a savings to buy a bigger place. I am looking at a storage place that is 20 X 60 with a bathroom and electric, 18 foot wide door for 275.00/month. Does this sound reasonable?

2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I still run out of my garage and trailer. No need for a bigger area for me yet. Based on the square footage and the fact that electricity and bathroom are included in this. I say it sounds like a good deal.

3. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

That price is a steal. I would jump on that. Around here 20 by 60 WITHOUT the bathroom would be $600 or higher if you could even find one.

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

That rental price is great! I would definitly jump at that price!

I have my equipment stored in my garage and in a shed in the backyard. The shed is small and it will be getting replaced with a larger one soon. I am hoping something along the lines of 12x24 with a garage door.

5. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

You're a long way from where I live, but the price is crazy low...

I run out of a 2500 sq ft warehouse, and constantly have to juggle equipment and trucks for space. Seems I could use double the space easy.
    But we do more than lawncare. For strictly lawncare, 1200 sq ft. is prolly enough.

6. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a steal. Around here it would be close to $1200 a month atleast. I am glad that I don't rent.

7. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I put in a 12x24 a couple of years back with a garage door on each end. I loved it for awhile. Then we filled it up pretty quickly, and am having to build bigger now. Going with a 40x80 this time. Five bays, bathroom, office, washer/dryer,etc - all nestled on 4 acres. Should break ground rather soon.

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

My dad just finished building a 40'x48' shop last spring next to his house. Radiant heated floors, well lit, and the ceiling is like 20' high.

I'm fortunate. I guess I could run it out of my garage though if I had to.

9. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Currently, I have a junk shed in the backyard that is WAY too tiny, and i keep most of my stuff in there. What dont fit in there lives in the garage, or on the porch (yea, mom dont really enjoy spreaders and grass catchers on the porch, but oh well). I am going to get a storage unit this week though, and keep ALL my stuff there. This will actually be way more convient as everything will be in the same place. It is only a couple blocks from my house, and right next to the gas station i always go to. When i have my stuff out of the garage, i will have room to put up a nice workbench and whatnot. I would REALLY rather live in the country, and have a Morton 40 something by 60 something shed for a shop and to store everything. That will come in about 4 yrs...

And yes, the price on that is VERY reasonable. I am hoping I will find an oppertunity like that sometime next year or the year after, but right now, my business is NO WHERE big enough to justify it.

10. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

How does that radiant heat work? Is it heated with wood? I have been researching this as well and plan to put it in my shed too.