Where Does John Deere Fit In?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 7 IRON, May 31, 2007.

1. 7 IRON

7 IRON LawnSite Member
    from VT

What Would It Take For John Deere To Be A Big Player In The Commercial Mowing Market?Seems Like Scag,Toro(Exmark),Hustler,Ferris,Get The Top

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Dealer support they are not in my area.
  3. ojpent

ojpent LawnSite Member

In my area most of the commercial mowing companys that do stores, plazas are mostly running John Deere, they look like great machines and have some nice features like the mulch on demand!!!
  4. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

The commercial machines seem a bit expensive compared to similar size machines of other brands, I think that's their biggest problem.
  5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I think their line of walkbehinds SUCKS. They need to bring back the JX85, plus they need hydro 36"s and 48"s. Also the prices seem quite a bit higher compared to most others mowers.
  6. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

JD farm equipment is awesome - there lawn equipment should be purchased only in Box Stores. There service is terrible - they would rather work on the big machinery than my little mower. There pricing is way high as well. I did inquire about a new Z this year but I went back to TORO with a 52 deck, DFS bagger, Kawa 23 hp all cheaper than what deere want for a similair machine.
  7. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I read somewhere that Tru Green is using Deere now...and I have seen TG with Deeres on their trailers. The Deere Z's are great but I gotta say I hate dealing with the Deere dealers in my town...these guys are morons and a** holes.
  8. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I agree. On the farm we run all John Deere stuff. Our dealer here is awesome for farm stuff. But they pretty much suck when it comes to lawn equipment.
  9. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Deere isn't a major player in the commercial mowing market around here. Its mostly Exmark, Scag ,Toro and an occasional Bob-Cat. I think that the Deere machines are pretty good for the most part. Everyone says they are expensive, but when I've priced them they have been quite competitive. Not to mention the Deere dealer here is awsome.
  10. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Deere pretty much is home-owner grade equipment. Even the JD dealers around here don't even sell the commercial line anymore.