1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

where does the nitrogen go

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by lawnlubber, Mar 27, 2005.

1. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

Experts recommend adding x lbs of nitrogen every year to grow a healthy lawn. If you don't remove clippings where does all that nitrogen go? Leachate, run off, unusable nitrogen tied up in the soil where? Why didn't the prairies need fertilizer to grow grass before we came here.

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

it is left in the leaf blades that are cut off.

3. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

And then begins to break down and become bio-available.

4. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

So if the clippings are not removed there is no need for adding nitrogen every couple of months, true?

5. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

From what I have read/heard, you can supply about 1 lb of N a year from not removing your clippings. It will help reduce the amount you need to put on, but not totally cover it. Not 100% of the nitrogen goes to the leaf blade to be cut off, and recycled. A lot is eventually used or lost to the environment.

6. WhohasHelios?

Exactly..I would not leave it at just the clippings if you want that perfect lawn. While they provide nitrogen over time, if you want perfection, you will have to boost it intermittently as well.

I was not aware that it was aroud 1 pound marko, thats good to know.

-Reuben

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

According to Turgeon dry clippings contain around 3 % N.

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Right but decaying organic matter also burns nitrogen when it's breaking down.

9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Would you consider dry clippings organic matter or organic material?

10. WhohasHelios?

Personally, I do not consider grass clippings huge consumers of nitrogen while decomposing. The process happens really quickly.

I have noticed this with a lot of mulches however, especially fresh fir and hemlock. The biggish chunks of wood that you think are providing the ground with such great nutrient are actually creating a need for nitrogen.