1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where does the sense of entitlement come from?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hi_speedreed, Mar 27, 2012.

1. hi_speedreed

hi_speedreed LawnSite Senior Member

So this guy asked me to mow this rental he owns. It's tiny, 15-20min job so I tell him sure. I go to mow today, unload the trimmer and start around the house and zip, out of string. Back to the truck loading it up and this girl about 25 comes out and yells "hey, are you guys here to mow the grass?" I say yes and she says, "bout time you got here! my grass was getting high" Then she asks "are you going to take out my trash too?" and I said no, I'm just here to cut the grass. She says, "Well, Dave said you would take it out" I said He didn't say anything about that to me. and they she tells me I need to call him. I explain he hired me to mow the grass. Then get this, she says "I would call him but I'm out of minutes, The government don't give me nothin no more" I really bit my tongue and said once again, Dave hired me to mow the grass, I will do extra work but I expect to be paid, I don't work for free. I put my ear plugs back in, fired up the trimmer and anytime she spoke the rest time I was there I revved the engine and pretended not to hear.
  2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

That's because Your Senator Byrd gave them so much free stuff they don't know how do anything themselves.
  3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Entitlement city baby. Don't let it get to you.
  4. Nutsedge

Nutsedge LawnSite Member
    from STL, MO

Wow, talk about entitlement in some of these responses. And your better than them because??? :usflag:

From a non biased POV.

The lady was told something by her landlord, why would she question that? She doesn't know you from Adam and for all she knows your just a hired hand that does the stuff he doesn't want to, which would/could include taking out garbage.

I dont even think entitlement is the correct word to use here. If that were the case it would stand to reason that she ask everyone that walk by to take her trash out. Again misinformed/confused perhaps.

Plain and simple the landlord misspoke/tenant misunderstood the wires got crossed somewhere.

From her comment about the Govt I read that as that her unemployment ran out and she cannot afford to pay her bill/buy more minutes. The Govt doesn't provide phone service or directly give access to telephone communication. I'm sure you knew that though and instead were just looking to stir the pot. Much as I have done only without the hindrance of social/racial/economical animus.
  5. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

That's the result of almost 4 years of oblama!!! Hey I am entitled to health care, when a woman want to have fun, it is your responsibility to make sure she gets free contraception. It's other people's fault if you don't read the loan paper and sign your name on the dotted line.......that they should tell you the interest rate is going to go up.
  6. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

Does anything here give her the right to have the "bout time you got here" attitude to the company that is coming to take care of her yard work, which is obviously free to her?

I don't think it is so much about the request to take out the trash as it is about her attitude. I wasn't there, but that's the way I read it.

I'm pretty sure the OP was just venting.
  7. Durabird02

Durabird02 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Pretty sure you missed the part that the OP was referring to as "entitlement". If you look at the original post it is in RED, expecting the government to give her more minutes. It would be easy for me to quit my job and live off of the government, but my pride has kept me from doing that. The idea that the government owes her something is his main point i believe.

More than likely her landlord said nothing of the sort about the trash, and she had tried it on the last mowing guy and it worked so she tried it again.
  8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't taken on new jobs of any kind for quite a while, but when I come across a situation like that, I say, "Tell Dave to forget it... I've changed my mind."... If you don't get rid of the PITAs right away pretty soon everybody becomes one...

BTW, this IS an example of entitlement mentality, and anyone who justifys her mouth is likely in that same camp... :)
  9. hi_speedreed

hi_speedreed LawnSite Senior Member

Entitlement knows no race. But for the record she was an approximately 25 y.o. white female

That's where you are wrong. They do give phone access now.
    http://www.assurancewireless.com/Public/Welcome.aspx is just one example of many.

This company isn't giving away phones and minutes out of the kindness of their hearts. The government subsidizes this program.

Here is an article about free cell phones.

She wasn't talking about unemployment. There are lots of jobs in the Charleston area right now. I work part time and the place I work has 3 full time openings and 15 part time openings and they can't get the positions filled. The people who apply can't pass the screening tests. Questions like, would you ever steal? if you saw a coworker take money from the drawer and put it in his pocket would you let a manager know? would you let friends use your discount card?

The people who make it to the drug can't pass. I'm not arguing whether or not drug testing is right. I am saying these people are warned a couple weeks in advance of the drug test when they apply and click the button that says I will submit to a drug test. They know its coming and they can't stop smoking pot for a couple weeks to pass.

Everyone on here that has employees knows how hard it is to find good help. This girl thinks she is ENTITLED to at least more minutes on her free phone but probably everything else too.
  10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

ROFL .... read the article before you post it as "proof".

"The first thing for folks to understand is that this is not a government program, so to equate it to other government assistance programs isn't accurate. The program is funded through the Universal Service Fund. The Federal Communications Commission requires that each phone service carrier contribute to the fund, which is "giving folks a helping hand to get back on their feet in a terrible economy," Pflanz said.

Some carriers do charge small universal services fees on their bills, but Pflanz said the program is in "no way coming from taxpayers' dollars."