Where does the warranty end?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jul 17, 2006.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

There are certain components on a mower that simply aren't included in the warranty...blades, air filters, etc.

But where do you draw the lin on what is and what isn't included under warranty? Is it totally the dealer's discretion?

Should a tire, for example, that has the tread worn off of it, be included under warranty? What about a dented and mangled scroll? Or a height adjustment level?

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

Most of the time wear items like tires blades and belts are not covered. The mower manufacturer will not warranty anything on the engine since the engine manufacturer has its own warranty, so filters will not be covered either. But if your deck isn't cutting level that should be a warranty. The dealer has to follow the warranty program laid out by the manufacturer, some dealer try to skimp on that but that could cost them their dealer agreement.

3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

as I understand it, all wear items. tires, belts, blades, filters and the like are excluded from warranty.

height adjust levers should be covered, but only if determined to be defective. User damage/abuse would not be covered.

Just like the wheels. if the ballbearings come spilling out for no apparent reason, 3 months after you bought the mower, I would expect replacement. If the treads are worn off 9 months after you bought the mower, you're on your own.

My dealer trys his best to get stuff covered under warranty, but when he can't and it is a margin call, I have no problem either fixing it myself or more often paying him to do it.
  4. PowerEquipmentWarehouse

PowerEquipmentWarehouse LawnSite Member

It really depends on the manufacturer and your dealer's familiarity with them. As you work with an OEM you realize what will fly and what will not. Without mentioning any brands, some companies are absolute b_st_rds to deal with. They will not reimburse the dealer his posted shop labor rate, just what they "feel" we should get. Some only reimburse parts at dealer's cost, with no regard for shipping charges or handling. Other companies are better and reimburse full list price on parts, and pay your posted shop labor rate. Another factor is the District Service Representative. They have the authority to "cover" just about anything if you present a convincing and compelling argument. Again, some dealers have more influence or discretion as you gain a reputation as an "honest" dealer in their eyes. There is always some stuff that will not be covered and then I make a decision based on the customer, his sales history and his prior actions as to what I will simply eat. If the customer bought that Toro or John Deere at Home Depot, it's a whole different matter.....Mike
  5. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

We have a Honda that we bought in August of 2005. The wheel bearings are wore out, the height adjustment levers are wore out, the rubber safety shield that drags behind the mower is wore out. The front scroll is wore out.

We have not put the mower through any undue stress or anything like that. These parts wear out as they get old. Does that mean that the part should not wear out and it's a manufacturing defect? Or does it mean that as an owner, I should expect these parts to wear out in under a year?

It sounds like my dealer will give me replacement parts under warranty, but it was something the parts clerk had to check with the owner on.

I just get the feeling that "warranty" is a vague term left to someone's discretion. I can make the case for or against any of these parts being "wearable" items.

They are not terribly expensive and if I had to pay for the parts, it would not be a big deal. It's just the idea that using the strictest interpretation of "warranty", if you don't notice a problem with the machine within the first day or so, the manufacturer is off the hook on every component on the machine.

DFW Area Landscaper
  6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Is this the commercial honda? If so you would have to abuse it to wear it out in a year. I have one that is almost 4 years old and it is still like brand new. Well almost.
    If it is the homeowners model they give a 90 day warranty for a reason. It wont stand up to commercial use.
  7. Jay B

Jay B LawnSite Member

I find most dealers just arn't willing to go to bat for the customer.

Sure, belts blades filters are our responsibility.

Height adjustment levers, wheel bearings are something else. They always say mower abuse.

Toros last half as long as Hondas (height adjustment setup). Neither will warranty these parts. Complete bullshit. I think if you buy a mower, these parts should last for a year. Why don't they?

:nono: Part$ Part$ Part$.
  8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

depends on a lot a variables, #1 if your an ******* then you get a tail lite warrenty lol If you been a good customer the dealer usually goes above and beyond