1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where Grass meets Mulch... how do you trim?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Vikings, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

It always looks like a mess and I end up kicking pieces of mulch back on. One of my customers must have sprayed round up along his mulch line, about 4 inches wide. It look horrible.
  2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Are the beds edged out? If the beds are edged out just follow around the edge with the trimmer line kicking out not in. Also, we will almost always flip the trimmer upside down and edgeout the bed. It makes it look sharp and clean.
  3. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

with my trimmer and edgit attatchment, it works sweet.
  4. Vikings

from canada

I do the upside down thing also on a few deeply edged yards, but I have several yards that drove me crazy with the mulch even with the grass or close to it. I guess to kick it in I need to walk backward or maybe be inside the mulched area. I even have one yard where it looks like they just shoveled what looks like to be wooden shingle pieces around their bushes. Mulch should be contained by a divider of some sort.

I wonder if I sprayed the mulch line, but actually sprayed the mulch itself with very little spray hitting the grass..
  5. Vikings

from canada

Edgit! crap why didn't I think of that. I wanted one all last summer but never bothered since I had only 24 yards. Going to be a mandatory purchase this year.