Where has the loyalty gone??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by General Grounds, Jul 30, 2003.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: just curiuos if this has happened to anybody else? i do lawn main., chems, and snow for a coustomer pull up to mow today and the house was freshly cleaned up w/ new mulch, probably about a $1000 job, not even a phone call, unbelievable, i think my snow list just become one less.

i lost 2 jobs this year due to the poor weather and very impatient people, both new customers who think they are the only ones and all should be dropped fro them, i got from both "dont you guys work in the rain".

oh well sorry for the rant, seems like people have less loyalty as the years go on, i quess doing their home for 8 years and seeing all the nice work we have done in the neighborhood amount to nothing. tony

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

People want things NOW!!!

Nothing more to say

3. dylan

dylan Member
    from Ontario

I hear you. Just today, a customer of mine who I have been cutting for about 9 years dropped me mid season. This is at least the 4th time she has dropped me in 5 yrs. She is always on the lookout for the absolute cheapest cut she can get.
    The last guy showed up with a 7hp 28" riding mowing (that he drove 2 kilometers to get to the job) and was only charging $10 canadian dollars per hour. ($7 american) What a deal!
    For a lawn that takes me just over 2 hrs to cut, he managed to drag it out for 10 hrs and he still didn't get all the trimming done. He lasted 3 weeks before he quit the mowing business.

Every year she has asked me to come back and I am only too happy to resume cutting, with a "small" price increase of course.

Keep your chin up. Let them know that next time you would like to give them a quote.
    Have a great day.

4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Seems that people want everything handed to them and since they are ntot eh ones doing it they dont realize how hard they actually are.

Do our CUSTOMERS work in the rain.......then why should we?:rolleyes:

5. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: being from the area im in, i dont think many of my customers will walk to the mailbox in the rain.:blob2:

6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

We work in the rain. Been working in the rain as long as I can remember.

I don't know about any of you. I only have a 9 month season. Schedule has to be kept.

It is so much easier to stay on schedule or be a little ahead, than try to make up for lost time. And this year would have been a disaster with all the rain we had.

OK, not all aspects of our work can be done in the rain, but much of it can

7. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Those are the kind of accounts that you don't want or need. The next time they call you for a service tell them that your business has moved upscale and that you only service high end accounts (meaning your fees have gone up). I do that with all the accounts that want everything "right now". I give it to them right now...but they pay for it.

8. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

Glan hit the nail on the head:) If we did not work in the rain we would not be in business. We have worked every week day so far this year except for two days where it poured all day.

9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I absolutely refuse to work in the rain. I don't care how far behind. I don't mean a few sprinkles, I mean rainy days. We've had a bunch of those this year. My experience when trying to cut in the rain has always been so miserable and pointless that I don't see the purpose. Cleanup alone of all the clumped up grass turns the job into a much bigger PITA than it needs to be, nothing is gained.

Back to the original point. I try not to sweat people who can't wait for me. I've got a woman that has had her neighbor mow her lawn every week this month a day before I'm scheduled to be there just because she can't wait for me to show on my day. She keeps calling to tell me not to come because she's already had it done. The joke's on her, because she's no longer a customer and will find out with her statement this month!

My theory is that it's a good thing to have a small turnover rate each year, taking on new customers to replace them. After a while, certain people get "stale" and it's a good thing to rotate them out for fresh blood.

10. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

It's so true. It astounds me how so many normally intelligent normal in every other way people think they are the only ones, period. Asking for special treatment that presents more of an obstacle in scheduling is done by them with no regard the problems it creates.

As for mowing in the rain, it all depends;
    How much rain.
    How hard or soft the ground is.
    Is property slopped.
    Has property now become a wet weather creek.
    Is lightning striking very close.