where has the quality gone?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Ray_Lawns, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Reflection

Reflection LawnSite Member

Exactly, if you're buying homeowner grade tools they're going to break. Corona wood handled loppers are well worth it, won't break unless you're cutting something beyond 3"+. For hand pruning I'd recommend Felco, expensive but they'll last 10 years and blades are replaceable.

2. bdlawncare

bdlawncare LawnSite Member
    from nj

i use structron hand tools they seem to hold up well.

3. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We started using Felco hand pruners 7-8 years ago. Amazing difference, someday we may have to even sharpen them. We still use the same ones and they hold an edge like no other. If you want a tool that will last maybe the life of your company chose Felco. Swiss made and it shows.

4. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Fiskers is junk! I think they use scrap metal to make that stuff. Nothing fiskers I've ever bought lasted more than a few jobs. Who sells Felco?

5. cpllawncare

I just checked out the Felco site, probably will be ordering a pr of bypass pruners and the 33" loppers, hopefully the last time I buy those tools $225 for both.

6. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

Bought a 32" Corona Loppers last weekend and they did last over an hour,complete junk from China. So I went a bought Barnels 32" loppers for a little over $90.

7. cpllawncare

Corona is only one step above Fiskars. I've had decent luck with Lowes Kobalt stuff if it breaks it is refundable for stuff like shovels and such.

8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I hate it when those 30$ hand clippersv nick up 60$ worth of mower blades.

Im going to spray paint my small hand tools bright orange.

9. Corona has a homeowner line and commercial line. The commercial stuff is just as good as felco IMO.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You get what you pay for.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/p...ge.asp?mi=17801&title=Felco%AE+Lopping+Shears

Corporations generally have no interest in producing long lasting high quality products ..... the cheaper the product, the more money they make, both on the initial purchase and when you are forced to replace the POS.