where has the quality gone?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Ray_Lawns, Feb 27, 2013.

1. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i have fiskars and i've been using them for 3 years now no issues. $30 at walmart. i cut 5" or more thick crepe mrytles with them.

2. Spring Valley Lawn Service

Spring Valley Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Bought my loppers for ten bucks at a return store. Lowes had the same ones for 30 bucks. So far ain't broke them yet of they not used often

3. Arvydas

Arvydas LawnSite Member

Ok gentleman, I'm going to let you in on a secret. Bahco pruning tools. Once you try them you'll never go back to other brands. But hardly any stores in the states carry them.

I do an enormous amount of aesthetic pruning, and I've found these to be even better than Felco. Swedish company, but most of the tools are made in France.

These are professional tools. If you're buying homeowner grade tools you should expect them to break on the job.

Bahcostore.com is the best and least expensive source I've found.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Can you provide details on how they are better?

5. EarthWindandFire

EarthWindandFire LawnSite Member

One of my favorite companies is Earth Tools, the owner is Joel Dufour. He carries several lines of hand tools such as DeWit, SHW and Bahco. I'm sure Joel wouldn't sell them unless they were the best.

Check them out at earthtools dot com.

Mark

6. Arvydas

Arvydas LawnSite Member

The angle of the blades provides a much smoother cut, with less effort required, hence less fatigue. On the hand pruners, the handles are extremely strong composite plastic that is light weight and never cold in the winter. And the way the handles are molded is MUCH more comfortable for me for hours of pruning.
    On top of that, everything is cheaper and yet he blades hold up just as well, if not better.

Felco is really expensive right now partially because the Swiss franc is so strong against the dollar!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Wab66

Wab66 LawnSite Member

I feel the gardening tools purchased at the Depot, Lowes or hard wares are low quality. They won't hold up to the use that a landscapers will give them. You have to be smart and buy from Commercial suppliers. A.M. Leonard handles great tools. Check them out. Their orange steel edging shovels will last many years.

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah i'm sure they do but that stuff is way too expensive. i dont do that type of work that often so i don't see a need to spend that much money for it. if you do alot of that type of work then it would make sense.

9. Wab66

Wab66 LawnSite Member

Their prices are very reseasonable for the quality!