Where have all the dixie's gone?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rwleigh, Jun 10, 2003.

1. rwleigh

rwleigh Banned

I have been using dixie chopper for several years and they have been the totally dominate machine in my area for years. Dixie has cancelled there dealer here who made them number 1. and now all the sudden I am seeing scag grasshopper and country clippers poping up everywhere. I still see the older dixies running around but no new ones. Has dixie gone crazy or do they just not care to be in the lead anymore? I bought a bladerunner a couple of weeks ago because there now is not a good qualified dealer to work on my choppers. The original dealer still works on them but is limited now on his parts. I do not know if this is happening everywhere or it is just here but it looks to me that someone at dixie is missing something upstairs!

2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Well
    Dixies have more competion now. There are alot of others/better machines on the market. Attractive financing offers also cut into their sales. Scag and Kabota 0% ect.
    Alex never did me wrong, but the guys I know where not happy with the service.
    BTW, I don't use Dixies.

3. rwleigh

rwleigh Banned

Well I do not know who the guys your talking about are but I can say he is the ONLY ONE that stopped and fixed me on the trailer! But I also pay my bills with him, which is probably why the guys that you know had service issues.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

When were they ever "in the lead"? Around here, for instance, you never even see them. There is one guy in this whole town, that has one, and it's a beat up old looking thing.

5. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

Around here a few are still used by the old timers. I quess you can't teach old dogs new tricks. I owned one and was very disappointed with my customer support and the overall performance of this machine. The next time I spend 10 grand it will be with a mower that has improved with the times.

I think what you are seeing is a company that has not stayed up with the competition.

Much like the model "T" Ford. It was very popular but because they refused to change, it was forced out by the public.

6. rwleigh

rwleigh Banned

The customer support is why dixie was number 1 here, you never saw until this year any scag or grasshopper and certainly no country clipper mowers. You would see a few and I mean a few exmarks hustlers and bladerunners and still do and they are newer machines. The dealer they cancelled was selling probably on average of 50 dixie's a year. So I do not understand what they are thinking but I guess they have there reasons. I am very happy with my new bladerunner mower, and it is a much better machine in my limited experience with it so far. As far a dixie not staying up with the times I am not sure what you mean by that, I like the fact that they do not use alot of gadgets, but that is just me and I realize that alot of people do. I was mainly currious if they were doing this everywhere changing out there established dealers for newer dealers or if it was a local thing. As it is right now I will in time be trading off my other dixie's and I will not go back with a dixie!

7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i have two dixies and am very happy with there performance. if i could change something on them it would be the wiring (cosmedics), it looks like a high school shop class threw it togather (no offence). i do like the simple design, and no wistles. i also have a exmark w/b, nice mechine also, and better wiring.

as far as dixie loosing the market, i think by not offering a w/b is really hurting them! i would much rather deal with the same dealer, than two different dealers. if i need to expand and buy more w/b, i just might need to get an exmark rider. just my thoughts..

8. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

rwleigh,
    I don't know you, but the three guys I know that run dixies, do pay their bills. In fact one gentleman had to ask sever times to be bill for parts etc.
    What is your relation to Alex or Bill or are you Alex's wife?
    The shop is a custerf..k. The bigest mower graveyard in town is right a the front door. How professional is that?!
    Like I said, Alex never did me wrong, but the shop and grounds are always a mess, slow to get parts in , slow to repair mowers. Poor organization and service will doom a business.
    Dixie Chopper is still stuck in the 80's. Ugly fit and finished and poor performance on hills.
    Just my two cents

9. deere ZTR

deere ZTR LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Around here we only have one guy close buy with a dixie and they run the thing at full speed and just push the grass over and it still needs mowed that could be part of it. Even when he does slow down the cut it puts down is far from great. Deere and Snapper are dominant here.

10. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

deere ztr,

first of all, with every mower you need to maintain it, change the blades, etc.. to say that a dixie just pushes grass is not true. i have two and they cut very well. my accounts look better then most, keeping in mind that grass has alot to do with it.. on a second thought, john deere doesn't even make any of there own mowers. they have bought out some of the manufactures around the country and painted them john deere green, its a fact.. i guess john deere goes with the old and rich lodgic, if you cant build a better mouse trap, buy the guys out that can, and thats what they have done. dixie still makes theres, and they used to make toro ztrs, before they got started. the founder of dixie had alot of good ideas that other mower companines did not think was worth the while.. dixion is not in the comercial market for that reason.