1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where have all the newbie's gone?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OnMyOwn, Jul 24, 2005.

1. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

Just another thought to make you say, hmmm.

As any of us drive througout the town, you need a calculator to count the number of trucks pulling mowing rigs. This year was especially crowded in the spring with new start-ups. As the season progresses, I am seeing fewer and fewer of the start-ups. I mostly recognize the good ole' boys that have been doing this for several, or more years. Although I have lived through my own struggles this year, all of the previous threads mentioning the "drop-out" rate have a lot of merit. In summary, keep your prices and integrity and the competition will take care of themselves.

Good Luck :)
  2. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

We had a really tough spring where we got about a third of our yearly rain fall
    in April and May. The grass was more like a pasture so only those of us who've been doing it for a living were out cutting in between downpours. The weather is perfect now other than too damn hot and we're seeing a lot of new people trying to break into the biz. We had a major ag factory shut down and throw a lot folks out of work so I'm sure this is adding to those who want their own business
  3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Seeing several drop outs this year but their equip is getting bought up fast by others. Job market hasn't been great here for awhile unless you're in medicine so that contributed to alot of the new start ups as well as the heavy amount of spring clean-ups people wanted. Tru-Green has gained a real foothold here too in just the last few months which has lead to the loss of several large contracts thus pushing companies back into smaller jobs where they often get lowballed out. I see a few that have left grass for tree trimming as well.
  4. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

Do you think that the larger companies will cut their own throats over time? Usually, when these companies come into the local economy and storm the accounts with pricing and advertising, they get the business - then lose it in time due to poor performance.

What do you think?
  5. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

We're beginning to see a lot of heavy competition among the large companies and the only ones expanding and not losing quality are the extended family types. No one cares as much about craftsmanship as the person whose name is on the logo. Boise has seen a major price tightening. One of the big guys we know use to have carte blanche to do whatever was needed including major renovation without customer approval. Their attitude was do it and send me a bill. Not so anymore and the lawn services have been advised to do the absolute minimum to maintain the grounds.