Where have they gone?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wells, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I've been viewing threads on this site for about two years now and have been a member for just over one year.

In that short amount of time I have seen many, many new members with high expectations and dreams of working for themselves and owning their own business. Around this time of year and for the next several months there will be many new members signing up, doing research and asking questions about the biz, and by the end of the season you don't hear from most of them again.

Where have they gone???
    Do most of them fold up shop, and go back to working for someone else taking their dreams with them?
    Do they find another forum to go do their research at?
    Do they think Bobby is to intimidating and thus leave never to be hear from again?

What do you think happens to all these new start up businesses?

This seems to be a trend, and i look at the board today knowing that most of our new members wont be on here at this time next year.

Where are you guys going????????

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Lowballer heaven maybe?

3. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I would say BooBy has run a few off. He thinks he's right a everybody but him is wrong.

4. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

ROTFLMAO...good one Larry. BTW, it went belly up due to insufficient funds.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if that's what you believe you're a fool.

7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Most small businesses fail. I suspect that is especially true for the average start up lco. People get into the business thinking it's all about making easy money cutting grass like they did when they were kids. They don't realize a business is a business, no matter if you're shoveling crap or building computers. There is a lot more to it than just grabbing a lawn mower and cutting grass. People race into this business with wide eyes and dreams of making $$, find out it's hard work, takes some business sense, and there's a lot of long hours involved.

That's why I don't encourage anyone anymore. Those that really want to do this will ignore me anyway, like I ignored most people when I started. Those that aren't cut out will take my advice and figure out something else.

8. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

I think you hit the nail on the head. It just sucks bearing with the market during their learning process but, on the other hand sometimes they make you shine.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Wells

90% of all start up mowing guys fail the first year. Now why does this happen?? First, mowing does not attract the Ph d's. Second, It is hard work out in the elements. Third, Social status is just above a garbage man. Forth. It requires something called work.

10. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I know I see alot of these start up companies.....
    They buy and buy and buy and don't invest in their company. Then many times you can buy up all of there equipment they bought with so few hours cheap cheap cheap.

As far as our statis in society....it's better than the reputation of a laywer, many doctors or a cars sales man and certainly most politicians :p

When Ric said
    "First, mowing does not attract the Ph d's. Second, It is hard work out in the elements. Third, Social status is just above a garbage man. Forth. It requires something called work." It just made me feel so good, knowing that I enjoy what I do, and I feel that I accomplished something and that I am probably doing better than alot of these other guys with "profession" type jobs. Doing a job is just that, loving what you do is what it is about. :waving: