Where & how did you mount the fire extinguisher in your truck(s)?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by JContracting, Mar 27, 2013.

1. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

As the title states. Having it laying on the floor doesn't really fly with DOT nor will my truck even pass an inspection without it being mounted, according to the person I spoke with at Crystal Welding (they do DOT inspections) here in MN. I have one but am unsure of how and where to mount it so it's out of the way, I was hoping it'd fit in the passenger door pocket but it didn't unfortunately.

2. DavidsonLandscaping

DavidsonLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Mine are mounted between the door and the seat bolted to the floor just next to the seating bolts on my drivers side. also seen them mounted to the lower part of the dash, and behind the seat bolted to the cab. Bolted above your dash, (like you see in race cars) is stupid i think because it reduces visablity.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. JContracting

My truck is also a personal truck so I'd prefer it not be in the way at all. Regardless of it being work only or personal also I'd never install above the dash, stupid!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

According to our DOT guy,as long as its accessible.So mine is behind the seat.

5. DavidsonLandscaping

DavidsonLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I know, its only cool if you have some nice pipes and rims, then you can say your a race car driver. Lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Under passenger seat by the jack.

7. JContracting

I have pretty loud exhaust and aftermarket rims, still not cool.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Accessible and properly secured. When they did our safty audit, if it was not secured, it did not pass. Also secured did not mean braced against other crap behind the seat which is how ours was for some time.

9. JContracting

TM, how are yours secured?

djag, are yours secured or just placed under the seat?

10. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Our fire extinguishers came with a vehicle mount. The mount required one screw to be drilled behind the seat to secure the mounting bracket. Really hate to drill holes in the metel, but just part of business I guess. I tried velcro that did not work. lol