1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where/how to learn about irrigation systems...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by allstar, Jun 9, 2004.

1. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

I want to add this service to my landscaping business.I would be more than willing to work for free for someone who installs irrigation systems in order to learn how.I doubt if anyone would let me,though,because as soon as I learned how I would start doing them for myself.So how do I learn?Any books,online courses or instruction,etc.
    If I could just become somewhat competent I could install a system in my own yard and maybe those of other family members.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.
  2. capmaint

capmaint LawnSite Member

check out jessstryker.com for an all inclusive tutorial.
  3. LAWNSTAR1306

LAWNSTAR1306 LawnSite Member

Yeah I agree jessstryker.com is the way to go... I used this as a reference while studying for the exam. also the free brochures at the home improvement stores will give a basic understanding.
  4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Rainbird sponsors seminars throughout the year. Check with their website.
  5. allstar

Thanks much.The jessstryker site looks great.Also,I picked up a Rainbird bruchure at Lowe's yesterday.
  6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Talk with your local suppliers and see if they know of someone you could "train" with. You can read all the materials and manuals you want but getting your hands dirty is the best way. If you are wanting to do the service work, manuals won't help you much.
  7. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

HUNTER also has a great Residential Design Handbook you can download from their website.

I have all my new help read this manual and it really gives them a good feel to what happens in the design and installtion process.
  8. allstar

I absolutely agree,DanaMac but doubt if anyone would train me because as soon as I learn how I'll become a competitor.I will try that.I'd be willing to work for free.Thanks.
  9. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Come on up to maryland , if you want to work for free I will teach you everything you need to know . Matt
  10. allstar

Actually,I'm considering offering to work for someone outside of my general area in order to gain the necessary experience.You're a little TOO far,though.