Where/How to learn to repair equipment

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jahweedum, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Jahweedum

Jahweedum LawnSite Member

I have been running my own lanwcare business for almost 2 years now, the only major equipment i have now is a 21 in toro and a billy goat aerator, and my truck of course. I will probably pick up a 36 in mower this spring and hopefully a walker soon after. Anyway I would like to learn to be able to do my own maintence and repair on the equipment, any classes or books or recommendations on how would be best to learn? I only have some very basic experience doing things on my truck, would definetely like to learn some small engine repair and maintence, any suggestions or advice would be helpful.....thanks......Bryan

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I would suggest purchasing Service Manuals for the equipment you own, Should you have any problems you can go to the book for answers.
    I was a Auto Service Tech. for over 12yrs. before getting into the lawn and garden equipment field, I never worked on a mower before then but with Service Manuals and hands on repairs I learned very quickly and have been at it going on 15yrs. as you can see in my signature line. Theres no better way to learn than hands on IMO.

3. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

I agree with restorob, there is no better way to learn than hands-on. Remember your first girlfriend? :blush:

There are courses available at the local colleges that would give you the "big picture" and show you that there is nothing mysterious about it. With something new it is good to have someone with experience tell you about it. Experience with one engine type in class, will directly relate to any of the others. The engines and gearboxes may look different, but they work under the same principals and are all basically the same.

There is nothing like digging into a problem to learn. If nothing goes wrong, you learn nothing. The first time you tackle a new problem it will take you longer than a tech would take, but so what, consider it training. The job will be easy and fast the second time.

Buy the service manuals for the equipment itself, but also buy the engine manuals. If the answers are not there, talk to the local tech. The internet is an awesome source of help too, case in point this section of Lawnsite.

You will get to the point where you realize that a more complicated repair is just more nuts and bolts. A bit of thinking and some wrenching can fix just about anything mechanical.

That said, you may still need the big boys to help every now and then with the complicated stuff. If so you might as well learn as much about the repair as you can in the process. Slowly over time you will do more and more yourself - if you want to. The more you take apart, the more comfortable you will be with it.

deej

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Thats a good post DEEJ ........