1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where is the 30+hp at??

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by luckylawnboy, Jan 30, 2006.

1. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

With all the new technology and the new push for larger engines why has hustler not made the new briggs big block series an option for there mowers. I seen that they offer a vertical shaft engine. I bought an exmark just for the reason they offered this engine. It is a great power plant. All the power I would expect for a 72" mower uses minimal fuel, starts great and uses little to no oil. I would consider a Hustler if they offered this engine.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The 30hp Kohler is coming in the next 2 months.
    We have looked at the Briggs engines, nice engines they are, but we would need to do some redesign to fit the larger engines in our frame.
    These things take time, with the recent trend in larger hp engines, everyone will have 36hp air cooled engine options in the future.

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Is that going to be a Kohler 36 HP? I've heard they were going to be on the Lastec mowers. Do you know anything about if Kohler is coming out with more 30+ HP engines?
  4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Kohler is being pretty tight lipped about what is coming down the road.... but it is my understanding that they are and Kawasaki is also....

5. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you want a 30-40 hp gas engine when you could have a diesel engine that would use 1/3- 1/2 of the fuel the gas engine?

More torque longer life, better fuel mileage.

I’m not knocking your choice (just curious) I have both gas and diesel engines.
    If I could have got a diesel on my SWB I would have done it in a second.
  6. nick858

nick858 LawnSite Member

Well for the 7000 difference to get the diesel engine, I can buy a lot of gas. Thats the only reason I would stick to a gas engine. I can almost buy 2 Super Z 27/60s for the price of one diesel 60 inch.
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Weight is another big issue in the GAS vs. DIESEL dispute. They are often a couple of hundred pounds heavier.
  8. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

Is there an exact date when the 30hp Kohler will be available. I was about to buy with a 27 but would rather have the 30.
  9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

If everything goes as planned, you will see them on your dealers floor in the next 30 days.