Where is the best place to buy Fertilizers,etc.?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bluesclues, Mar 2, 2005.

1. bluesclues

bluesclues LawnSite Member

I live in Charlotte,NC and I'm looking for a place to buy lawn products from. I don't have my pesticide license, and was wondering if I needed to get it before i even look for a place? If anybody could help I'd appreciate it.

2. CRM Lawncare

CRM Lawncare LawnSite Member

I would get my license before I even looked for a place. Hefty fines for putting out products without license. The test isn't that difficult if you study. When you get licensed head over to LESCO.

3. bluesclues

bluesclues LawnSite Member

Thanks...does this mean I shouldn't even put out fertilizer,etc.? Until I get my license?

4. stimpy

stimpy LawnSite Member

2000$ fine blues. I tested last month in charlotte you will have to travel out of town. plymouth-march22-23 kingston april-5-6 winston salem april-19-20 fletcher may-10-11 dallas-may-31-june-1. I think they have other towns and dates. You need to call jennie farrel in raleigh at 919 515 3113 she will send you three books to study and give you all of the dates and locations to test. Dont wait it takes a while to get the books and get set up. Keep calling jennie she is not around alot or leave a message. What they do is have a class the day before the test and a few hours the next day before you test. Cost 50$ for books and test and another 50$ after you pass. They send the results in the mail 2 weeks later. Good luck

5. Turf Smart

Turf Smart LawnSite Member

You do NOT need a license to apply straight fert. At least not in NY.
    Ironically, straight fert apps are the most profitable apps you can do! payup

6. Macvols

Macvols LawnSite Member

Fertilizer only is OK !

7. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

If you're not doing the application professionally, you can buy anything you want short of restricted use pesticides. If you are doing it for hire, you need the license for any product which contains a pesticide.

8. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Blues clues,

You better ask someone in YOUR state about this because in Minnesota you DO need a lisence to apply fertilizer commercially but it is a different license than pesticide and does not require a test.

Dave :waving: