where is the idle mixture screw?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bligh61, Nov 23, 2004.

1. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

can anyone tell me the location of the idle mixture adjustment screw on a 2002 16hp briiggs vanguard. thanks

2. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

I thought one of the tech's would answer this one by now.

I don't think they have idle mixture screws any more. Most of the newer B&S engines have gone to an idle solenoid/backfire suppressor. The mixture is no longer adjustable as far as I know. If there is an adjustable jet, it's probably covered with a plug.

What's the symtoms? Could be dirt in the carb.

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I would have to have the numbers off the engine to be sure but most likely there is no idle mixture adjustment screw. You can thank the EPA for that one. There are factory set to run as lean as possible and that is the end of it. The EPA would have the engines run on 100% air and no fuel it they could. As a result engines now days run hotter and die sooner that say 15 years ago. The oil needs changed more often because of the heat. And last but not least because of the mix being so lean the least little change is air temp or attitude can cause all kinds of running problems. Sometimes something as simple as removing the air filter can cause the engine to act up which makes it hurt to work on them sometimes.Thank the EPA and it is only going to get worse.

4. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

vanguard model # 303442, she surges at idle and seems to miss slightly at top end, all new plugs and filters.

5. fixer67

There are about a dozen carb listed for the 303400 series engine. Some and some without adjustments. I need model, type and code

Model.......................type.....................code
    5 or 6 digits........4 digits-2 digits........6 to 8 digits

6. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

model 303443, type 1277 e1, code 02082911, thanks for the replies,b

7. fixer67

My source does not list a 303443-1277 but does list a 303442-1277 engine and that engine uses the 809013 carb that does have some adjustments. Ref #94 Idle mix adjustment and Ref #98 Idle speed adjustment

carb-1.JPG

8. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

i mistyped, it is the 303442, thankyou for the info, i will be running the machine today and ill try the adjustments. great information. thanks again, b