Where is the problem??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by pomcguir, Apr 5, 2004.

1. pomcguir

pomcguir LawnSite Member

My wife and I started a lawn business this past March. So far we have had about seven jobs. We have put out approx. 600 flyers so far. Our equipment is : Snapper 33" 15hp rear engine rider, Snapper 21" walk-behind self- propelled, 6.75hp, Echo weed eater, echo pb602 blower, and echo edger.
    Along with the flyers we have had an ad with the local newspaper for the last thirty days. Our flyer says "Basic Lawn Care" in one part along with "call for free estimate".
    We are in the Shreveport-Bossier area.
    Where are we going wrong?
    Please Advice
    Thanks very much in advance
    PandT
    (BackStretch Lawn Service) checkerd flags on both sides of the title, as in racing.

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi pomcguir,

I want to congratulate you on starting your business. It sounds like you are off to a good start so far. Keep serving your customers the best you can and you will see word of mouth spread and your company grow.

Don't give up!

3. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Find a way to make you and your jobs stick out. If you see a new house on a main road. Stop and knock on their door and tell them you will give them a hell of a deal if you can put a sign up in their yard. Best thing we ever did. We printed up bright yellow t shirts and sweatshirts for us while we were working. Along with one of our f250's and our dump truck being yellow we really stuck out. Make people notice you. Try no to stress and just try like hell to get that first year over with. Its a rough one. Good luck to you.

4. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

I don't know about others, but wearing clean work clothes with good boots makes an impression. It is almost as cheap to wear good work clothes, as it is to wear old worn scruffy clothes.

Have your company name on your shirts, with your name on the otherwise. People will know who you are, and who you work for. You could use a regular work shirt, and go to your local sewing machine shop and see how much it would cost for them to sew that information on. Also remember to carry around your business card, and hand them out, even if you are not talking grass.

I don't know if the above applies to you, but this is what I have tried. I'm not sure if it helped, but it makes me stand a little taller.

Best of luck

Bryn

5. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Being the first year, hang in there. I learned a ton last year, which was my first. The biggest success I had was deciding not to give up, and keep going my second. I researched a ton, and learned every chance I could, not to mention working my tail off. Now this year we are much smarted, much more organized, and much more ready to succeed. Take it a step at a time, LCO's are like trees, they don't grow overnight, but when they start to take root, they are hard to knock down!