Where is the profit??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Volwrath, May 21, 2008.

1. Volwrath

Volwrath LawnSite Member

I was wondering where the most profit could be found in landscaping. I know mowing can build a big customer base, but it isnt really that profitable in the long run. What jobs can earn you the most money??

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

one of the most profitable for us....

3. Volwrath

Volwrath LawnSite Member

That may be so but on Long Island its not the same. I worked for a company that did $5 million a year and did more mowing than anything else and that only made them break even after expenses. That $5 million was mostly from other jobs. Since I am only starting out, I know that I will not have the capital to make that much right away obviously. What I'm asking is, that are the best jobs to do starting out that require little capital but will still bring in the green??

4. SOS Landscaping

SOS Landscaping LawnSite Member

SERVICES.... that is where you make your money. Lawn mowing is your foot in the door basically. pesticide permits, fertilizer permits, mulch, landscape design(trees, shrubs, beds, etc...) that is where you bring in the money. Offer anything you can snow plowing, pavers, irrigation systems, water features, maintenance schedules

5. capetan

capetan LawnSite Member

lawn mowing is only profitable if you have a lot of customers in close area, if you have 10 customers in one neighborhood, yes thats profitable, if you have to drive to each individual house thats not profitable for $35 cuts thats not..... for me mowing is supplemental income, landscaping is most profitable for me, ask yourself do i make more mowing all day long or landscaping all day long, for me i day for day i make triple the amount landscaping then mowing

6. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

I think it also depends on the size of your company. For example, I can bang out alot of yards mowing (tight route) and make decent $...as far as the big,good paying jobs, I don't really buy it if your solo. How the hell can you do a huge landscaping job alone, (so obviously it takes longer) Ya great I sold a 100 yard mulch job...great $ right? Not if you don't have the equipment or manpower to get it done timely and efficiently.

7. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Landscape installs! Plant material!! B&B trees/evergreens!

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'd have to agree, installs.

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

MULCH, not the process of distributing grass clippings, LAYING MULCH, bed renovations...... big profit from laying mulch.... 27 bucks a truck load for me to buy, 175 installed, per pickup load.....isnt that like 400% profit or something, too tired to work it out....

10. Speak for yourselves guys....

Mowing is VERY profitable if you're efficient and smart... and have just a wee-bit of work ethic.

And best of all.. grass ALWAYS needs cut... No matter how expensive gas is, but mulch, well, it can wait for a LOT of average people when they're shelling out $300 a month in gas....

Someone in this thread said mowing is the "foot in the door" - but I'll bet for the vast majority, it's more of the "bread and butter" with the extras being considered by most to be "bonuses".

Volwrath, don't let anyone tell you what's profitable. Go out and find out..

IMO, if you worked for a company who did $5M and just broke even on lawns, he should choose a new niche. That's an awful lot of headaches for no profit...