Where is warmest place w/ cool season grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, I love the plushness and look of the cool season grasses ( especially the stripes). But I hate the cold! Where is the warmest place in the USA where cool season grasses thrive. Thank you! I've already said many times I plan on moving somewhere else, but I have no idea where (unfortunately not much travel experience).
  2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Be a snow bird. Live in the cooler areas during the summer, move to Arizona when it gets to winter.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Here on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay we are in a transition zone between warm and cool season grasses. We have mixes of Zoysia, Fescues, Burmuda etc... You can drive down the street and see 3 completely different types of lawns. All of them thrive with the proper care.

The problem living here is the summer temps are more like N.C. and the winter temps are like N.Y..
  4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I think upstate SC, the piedmont area, is about the warmest area that has both warm and cool season grasses that do well. There you have both fescue and bermuda, growing very well, side by side. Of course, ryes and others won't survive there ... :rolleyes:
  5. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

Both grasses do well here in TN. The only troulbe with working in a "transition zone" is that the two are in contant competition with one another. Bermuda is always infesting Fescue lawns in the heat, and vise versa in the winter time. And maintaining a mixed lawn is curious bird to say the least. Both grasses take up fert at different rates so you get these lovely patches of deep green until the bermuda catches up. Also looks patchy in the winter when one of them is dormant. Often frustrating....

If I had my way, I'd go all the way south for the hot season stuff.
  6. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

the warmest place w/ cool season grass?? well, it averages 95+ degrees in the summer here in Louisville, KY and we have 90% cool season grass.
  7. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Lawnsmith, what are the winters like and how often do you usually cut?.........Thank you everyone so far keep 'em comin'!
  8. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

well, last winter was very mild and late to start, i was mowing until mid december last year. it only snowed 5 or 6 times last winter but got down below zero quite a bit. a record snow for us is like 25 inches but on the average we get 2-6 of accumulation. im not big on #'s but i know it gets hot as all get out in the summer with crazy, i mean crazy, humidity and it gets very cold in the winter. a month of 20 and under isnt uncommon.
    i mow grass from late feb/early march to late nov/early dec and on a 5-7 day rotation. of course its as needed in the early season and until the last leaf is gone in the late season.
  9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I seeded some fescue last fall as an experiment. I fugured if it would grow in Atlanta and N.C is ought to grow down here in L.A.
    The area where I planted it gets some shade so with the recent rains I can see it growing. It isn't 4 or 5" like the northern states get it but I can definately see some very dark green grass! It's a forest green where our grass is a lighter shade. I call it a succesful experiment. I plan on buying some more seed this month and seeding some more areas, might even get bold and put some out in the front yard........just need some rain.

Ryes all but gone except under the pecan trees so I know it won't last.......still have hope for the fescue.

A fescue/bahai lawn in the deep south.......what a hoot.
  10. Turfcouncil

Turfcouncil LawnSite Member

Wellm, here in Las Vegas there is plenty of cool season grass. alot gets taken over by bermuda if you are not "on top of it " with roundup. The fescue goes semi-dormant when it gets over 100-110 but all in all if you maintain it healthy and LONG like it is supposed to be, it looks great year around. we had our first 110 deg day last week in our part and it was BRUTAL.
    So i would have to say Fescue can take the heat!