Where learned landscaping?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Acute Cut, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Hello there evereyone. I am new to THIS forum. (am an old un on the grass lists.)

After reading this months issue of Lawn&Landscape i came to a conclusion. I need to expand. I am enrolled in a cert program through the PLCAA for grass management.

That said, i know nada of landscaping. I dont have time for a 4 year college. Anyone know of a home study course or something? Or, perhaps i should just ask "Where can i get landscape learning without actually attending a full time college?"

Thanks for the info all. Hopefully some of the replys might have attached links for me to read. that is how i found the plcaa and have been happy ever since. Thanks again.

Acute Cut

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

3. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

You can also look around and see if any arboretums in your area do courses overwinter. There is one within an hr of me that does. They offer design and all the basics. It is over a period of 8 consecutive weeks though.

4. Andrew Hardscape

Andrew Hardscape LawnSite Member

Acute Cut the best way to learn landscaping is by experience. I attended a horticulture trade school for 4 years. But I'm guessing 90% of what I know (or so I think I know!) I learned hands on. I'm still learning!

Start doing small jobs here and there,as time goes by you'll learn more an more. You will make mistakes, but thats the best way to learn!

5. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I'm not sure I can endorse a method that has customers as guinea pigs with mistakes being highly likely. I wouldn't want a GC building my house that just jumped in and leanred by experience with my house!

If you want to use that method, I'd recommend working for someone else. Then someone more experienced can show what went wrong/right.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

my first year in bus i did a job for a nice couple that just bought a home in a very upscale area. it was the middle of july and 90 degrees, i planted two spiral juniper, 6 goldthread cypress, some annuals, and a ton of 3/8 red stone. well, i read somewhere that u should fertilize at planting time, and, i did have this bag of lawn fert in the garage, i figured the more the better. i pored one cup of fertilizer in each hole with the plant. got paid, it looked ok. 5 weeks later i needed to show another couple a job that i did, so they could make a decision on wether to hire me, when we drove to the site, the only thing living was the weeds that came up through the red stone, everything else was a skeleton. moral of story, know what your doing before u do it. BOB (NEVER TOLD NO ONE THAT STORY)

7. rats5656

rats5656 LawnSite Member

good story funny

8. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

Oops on that first job, Bob. My wife and I started our business small and we are self taught as there are a lot of great books out there. We are constantly learning more. We were fortunate enough to do a couple of our first large scale jobs for good people that were willing to work with us as we do this part time (we both work 40hrs/week). It is our hobby and we really enjoy it. I have an engineering degree and my wife works in customer service. Really a good combo for working with landscape,fencing and mowing. We truly are a family business as our four boys help out with mowing and landscaping. They haven't been out on too many of our fence jobs. Good Luck.,

Matt

9. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

In Southern Wisconsin I am fortunate enough to have access to a technical college that offers a two year degree program in landscape/horticulture. They offer three different tracks to their students: Design/Build, Arborist, and Maintenance. Having graduated from the program myself I can attest to the needing to learn both hands on and from a classroom. You learn the basics in the classroom and all of the shortcuts, time savers, and higher end things in the field.