Where or what do you guys like to do for lunch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by barringtonbrothers, Jun 24, 2004.

1. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Im just currious. Need a light hearted thread. I love to get your guys opinons because we all do things so much differently, and I figured whats has more options than lunch.

Personaly I like to just keep working, maybe get a dollar dog from the gasman, or if im lucky 2 for a $1 whoohoo. Some days if we have time we will get lunch at a little chinese place that serves excelent genaral tso's chicken. We get the main dish, fried rice and a soda for like 4.50 and it even fills me up. Try getting 4.50 to fill you up at Mcky D's. Or some times we stop off at a local dinner and get pan fried chicken , mmmm. Or we take our lunch, but a luke warm sandmwich just doesnt sound good when Im hot dirty and wanting to keep working. I cant believe how time flies when Im working.
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We usually take an hour or so when doing landscape jobs, and head to anything close by: diner, mickey dees, sheetz, chinese buffet...On mowing days we usually eat snacks in the truck, and then head out for dinner and a beer or two afterwards. I always keep a 52 qt cooler full of 20 oz water and powerades in the truck . I have been known to throw a half dozen or so candy bars in there as well. Nothing like a cold snickers or milky way..mmm..mmm...
  3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I like to go to a local place called hanafuda. they serve plate lunches and saimin,
    their teri beef with fried saimin is really good:)
  4. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Im kinda limmited where I go because I like to be able to watch my truck while I eat.
  5. Yard Perfect

Yard Perfect LawnSite Member

We eat while moving. The guys bring their lunch.
  6. DALMlawn&landscaping

DALMlawn&landscaping LawnSite Member
    from TX

any boys from san antonio know that the place to go for great food come lunchtime is Bill Miller's Bar-B-Que, the best place ever in the world, you get friend chicken, poor boys, chopped beef sandwiches, ribs, brisket, what ever you want, and its cheap, its good, and its faster that most fast food joints, not to mention it can fill you up and you wash it down with a big 32oz cup of iced tea. they use to have free refills back in the day, but the green industry was drinking them dry. every day come lunch time you will see at least 3 trucks and trailers and about 20 workers at one time. and there a lot of these places, you can't go 2 miles with out seeing one.

anyways, this brings me up to my next thing. who allows workers, or who actually does this themselves- eat lunch on the front yard, under a tree just lounging out like theres no problem. I CANT STAND THIS. here i am driving through a fancy neighborhood (300-1.5mil houses) and i see 3-4 mexicans (no harm meant, i am mexican too) just sitting on the grass eating their lunch. when is it ever professional to mow the yard, put up the equipment and then take lunch under a tree and eat. i think that is so discusting and i can't stand watching it. i won't even bring water bottles into the yard, just looks trashy. when i eat at the site, i go to my truck, open the door, sit down, and scarf down a can of tuna, chug a few bottles of water and i'm working again. that is my typical job site lunch. oh well, i'm under enough stress, i dont need to worry about other peoples workers.
  7. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

box lunch except saturday i treat usually wendys
  8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually don't eat much, Just lots of hydration, Food makes me bog down or get sleepy, might grab a bag a chips and maybe a snickers though..
  9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Squeeze in 15 or 20 unburdened breaths in the truck while driving to fast food establishment (excuse me, good food served quickly). Order a meal by item number only, since statistics show that you have a 1 in 20 chance of getting your order correctly and promptly if you order anything in actual English words. Wait for food while on the phone or filling out log of my work for the day. Pay the man, sit the bag on the seat while putting up wallet and exiting the place and also putting straw into huge diet coke. Then I begin work on two simple cheesburgers (no number available to order w/o cheese and ordering a #2 meal w/o the cheese has been known to bring the store to a standstill) and if I'm really hungry I eat some of the fries w/ no ketchup. Eat carefully selected "finger food" that can be handled with one hand, leaving the other on the wheel. No Tacos, no salads here buddy. Woof them down and prepare to arrive at next jobsite.

Been doing this for 12 years now. I no longer am able to wait even 1 minute for anything in life now.

But I figure it's saved me about 1200 hours of work time over the years, or about the equivilent of one year's work. So I took 3 months off after I moved into a new home and spent my time fixing it up and getting ready to start this all over again. I figure I'll take the other 9 months off in the future.
  10. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

NO fast food like Mcd's, etc. How can you expect a man to work after sticking that poison in their body. I added an extra lunch allowance (how could I expect them to pay more to eat than they want?) on their paychecks and we/they would eat at a local diner or restaurant. A local strip club had KILLER deals on lunch specials .... T-bone steak (big as a plate) with baked potato, & 2 sides for $5.95 ... everyone thought the scenery was a nice lunch bonus. Sometimes I think they paced their work so lunch time would end up as close to that location as possible.