Where should I start???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by StihlGreen, Jan 14, 2008.

1. StihlGreen

StihlGreen LawnSite Member
    from us

For the past 5 months, I have been legally developing my Lawncare business. I am not sure what is the most important piece of equipment to buy first. I am starting small and gradually building. What should my first purchase be equipment wise?

1) Truck. I can get a decent used one for about 2500.00 from a buddy of mine. Or should I buy new and trade in the car? I hesitate because I do not want to have to owe 10-20 grand. Then again image wise would make my biz look better in a new truck.

2) Mower: My friend is in the biz and he has a used ZTR he will sell me for 2500.00.

3: Trailer and equipment: Will need trimmers, edgers etc...

I have about 4,000.00 to spend at the moment. Where should I start. Thanks guys.

2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

We all start at different levels. When I first started, I got the bare essentials to get the job done, cheap as possible. As I grew, my equipment followed. You can either go for used commercial walk-behind low hrs, or look for high end res mowers. The residential mowers will last you at least through the season. By then you will have made enough to acquire more and better equipment. Get comm handhelds if you can. They seem to get a lot of use and abuse. On the blower, I would start out with a handheld blower and eventually get a backpack. Hope this helps.

3. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Start small and do not acquire a huge amount of debt....pay cash if at all possible and then grow into new equipment . Spend time delivering great quality and advertise where ever possible. Good Luck .

4. StihlGreen

StihlGreen LawnSite Member
    from us

Definately: I have a commercial stihl trimmer so I plan on going with Stihl brand. We have a dealer here in town. At this point I am leaning on getting the used truck first. The less I owe to begin with the better. I can buy big later.

5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

KEYS TO SUCCESS : LOW or NO Overhead and High PROFFITS high debt to earnings ratio KILLS.

6. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

You need more money. I would continue to save until I had $8-10K.

7. OhLawnGuy

OhLawnGuy LawnSite Member

echeandia - $4k could easily get him started....he doesnt have to start our getting big condos or big commercial acres, start small on the residential scene, and go from there....residentials or nice, because people talk and if you do a good job, you'll get more accts...the first year is always the hardest, if you have no overhead, keep it that way for the first couple years untill you establish yourself

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You don't need a Z, but I highly recommend a 3/4 ton truck, plus you still need a trailer, trimmer, and blower, and on top of that another 500-1000 worth of knick knack crap (wheel barrow, tarp, shovel, some tools, etc).

Agreed.

9. DaveinSWFL

DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member

I would also say wait until you have more money saved. Sure you could start with $4000.00 but most not all businesses fail due to lack of working capital their first year in. You have to have money for the slower months to survive. Do you have a family to support? What are your current monthly expense at the presemt time? Like it has been mentioned in earlier posts. Don;t get yourself in debt. Pay cash for all purchases.

10. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Not with the need for all of the equipment he needs. The truck will cost him $2500, mower is $1000, handhelds are $500, a trailer is $800. Plus there is the cost of insurance, business registration, advertising, office supplies. Come on.