Where the heck are the leaves?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnguyland, Nov 11, 2007.

1. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Here on Long Island (NY) we are in zone 7. We may have had a light frost, but no hard freeze where I am at least. I'd say 80-90% of the leaves are still up in the trees, with most still green except dogwoods, ash, etc.

Seems late to me- what da y'all think?

I say the sooner they fall the better. See ya

2. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't feel bad here in the Midwest it's the same way. We easily have 80% of the leaves on the trees. Although I noticed today they are starting to fall.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, same here. Ash, american elm trees are bare, and Maples are hit and miss. Chineese Elms are starting, but just about everything else is half green.

I know I'm not nuts, because everyone is reporting the same problems! I'm going to be cleaning up leaves 'till new years at this rate! Typically I'm almost done by thanksgiving, save for the ones that are "paticular" about their lawns, or ones that have large Flowering Pears or Oaks. I knew by Halloween, when I'd hardly picked up a leaf that I was in trouble!

I agree, we need a HARD freeze. In the teens for a whole night. That will knock them off.

4. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Same up here In Canada, This years drought had alot to do with It I think

5. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

we got lake effect flakes maybe week or so ago and its been like 40 during the day but r leaves still rnt down yet.

6. TREEGUARD

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree with everyone I am going to give my crews a few days off this week there's no leaves to speak of and god forbid you try to sneak another cut on these people in November. I guess I'll put my christmas lights on the house And have a few beers:drinkup:

I was in Ontario last week it's the same I think there might be a few more leaves on the ground up there but i saw guys working

7. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I talked to Al Gore today. He took full credit.
    He said that one of the things that would happen as a result of 'Global Warming' was that the deciduous trees would start to refuse to let go of their leaves in the fall, for fear that the next growing season will be their last!
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Actually, on a more serious note......I have seen a lot more 'hanging on' of leaves going on around here! But not necessarily more color...very wierd!
    And we too had no frosts at all to speak of around here in S Ohio, then suddenly we had a decent FREEZE. I'll bet that has something to do with it.
    I always have seen a lot more leaf dropping 'action' in the days after the actual 'frosts' occuring vs. just those when 'freezes' happened.

9. CleanCutMowers

CleanCutMowers LawnSite Member
    from SE MO

:laugh: :laugh: I love that!!:laugh: :laugh:

10. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I know this is going to sound crazy, But I hope they hang on for a few more weeks. I broke my foot two weeks ago and will be out of commission for a while.:cry: so maybe about the time I'm able to get up and going again they'll start falling.