1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where those fall clean up rigs at?????

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by cuttin-to-the-Max, Oct 15, 2010.

1. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

how do i keep the leaves from blowing all over the place when im on my way to the dump site?
  2. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

A tarp. And either have ratchet straps over them diagonally (making an X) and/or your blowers/hedge trimmers on the top. This is what I did last year (1st yr in biz) and this year. Ill be buying a dump truck next year & leaf loader to make things either.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Not a very good pic, one I took while dumping. Normally the hose is attached to the side of the box but I have to take it off to dump, and I spin the chute sideways when I dump as well. I bought my own dump trailer this season, but I'm not happy with the size. Plan on trading it in for a bigger dump trailer next season so I'm not constantly running to the dump 3 or 4 times a day.

It's interesting to see how similar so many of these are.
  4. EARTH5

EARTH5 LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Seems as if everyone is done for the season the thread gets almost no updates in Dec. I only just pasted the halfway point in our fall this week. Already planning some major upgrades for next season. I want to build a one piece box that can be mounted in a very short time frame. Now I build 2 wooden boxes and with the crew changes and the wear and tear issues wood boxes have it can take an entire day to build one despite them already being prefabricated. So either steel or aluminum but I have never welded aluminum so that will be a learning experience. Also no idea how id lift them on and off I'll either need to set it up for forks on a tractor which I do not own or corner hooks for some sort of winch/crane that I also do not own yet. Add in the desire to take my 20 hp vacs and make them into trailer hitch mounted swing aways. Needless to say I am going to have some interesting pics next season. But I will be happy to retire the old gmc from leaf duty and use the ram 4500s for what they are built for moving very heavy loads.
  6. WJC

WJC LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a nice looking rig. You mentioned getting a bigger trailer, I was wondering if you pull the tarp back and climb in the trailer to pack the leaves down when it starts getting full? I do this in my truck and it makes a huge difference.
  7. cuttingedge13

cuttingedge13 LawnSite Member

Anybody ever try picking up stump grindings with their leaf loader? I tried it the other day, about 10 cu yds from a huge cottonwood. It worked pretty well and turned the grindings into a nice double shred mulch... too bad I didn't have any where to put it.
  8. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

I like it when the pile has pine cones ir chestnuts as they help to compact the leaves as they are pelted into the box
  9. lazor-cut

lazor-cut LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wixom

Dude, Thats gotta be about a 12' trailer.. You're sides could be way higher! Thats what i would do! Im sure you spent about 5k or more on it.. I would just make it work. Add sides (higher) and just make sure you get inside and start jumping around in it every once in a while.. It'll cut your dump time in half if not more! That ford can pull it! ;) :weightlifter:

My buddy does condo's and only has a 14' trailer..Bridges are like what 13' in michigan(?)
    His box is all of 12'. No lie.... We dump at the same spot and you can literally smell the difference between my leaves (Which we dump daily) And His who can sit in the trailer for sometimes up to 4... Its crazy!
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  10. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a similar set up. Do you have any problems with suction? How many vents are on that chipper cap?