1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where those fall clean up rigs at?????

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by cuttin-to-the-Max, Oct 15, 2010.

1. CTmower

CTmower LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I installed a front mount hitch behind the front bumper and had a custom platform welded to place the leaf loader onto. I also have firestone airbags installed in the rear suspension which helps carry the load easily. The truck handles fine with the loader on the front, box full of leaves, and pulling my 20ft enclosed trailer. I definitely don't drive fast when pulling all that wait and always look ahead at what's coming up in the road.
    Just a piece of advice. While I've never had a problem driving this rig in CT I have a good customer of mine who is a mass DOT statey and says my rig is 100% illegal according to federal DOT laws. The gas tank on top of the leaf loader mounted on the front of the truck is illegal. He said if I ran a gas line from the trucks gas tank to the loader then that would be legal.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. LR3

LR3 LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you Peek. I just bought a 16x8.5". Too small. Heading back tomorrow to get a 20x12. Thanks again for the info.
  3. NJ Grass

NJ Grass LawnSite Member

Hey ya'll, I was looking for some input and suggestions on designing a leaf box for my dump trailer. I've looked over almost every rig on this thread and it seems there are a lot of similarities and yet everyone does it a little differently.

I'm planning on running the 13hp loader off the back barn doors of my 6'x10' dump trailer, as you can see in the picture. My question to you all is, considering how high the discharge chute sits on the trailer, how high should I make my sides?

I was planning on adding an additional 24" to the existing sides I have now, to make the height of the walls 63" from the floor of the trailer. The top of the discharge chute comes up to about 54" from the floor of the trailer. This would leave me with approx. 10" of clearance. Is 54" tall enough or am I going to fill it up too fast?

My other question is what to do for the top, should I cover it with plywood with vents or just buy a mesh tarp and cover it with that? I'm concerned the discharged debris might mess up the mesh tarp if I use it as a top.

Thanks in advance!

4. CTmower

CTmower LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Build the sides as high as you can. On my dump insert I built 5' high sides which still allows me to get under most bridges around town.
    Id also suggest looking into getting a extension piece for the loader to get the discharge chute high up then it is. I bought a 24" extension for my Billy Goat loader and it worked perfect.
    Go to Harbor Freight and get a mesh tarp for the top. It keeps all the debris in but allows enough airflow to compact everything inside the box.
  5. NJ Grass

NJ Grass LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
  6. NJ Grass

NJ Grass LawnSite Member

Thanks man. Yea I actually decided I'm going to mount the loader in the back of my pick-up. This will raise it up 18" from the height it is in the picture and also eliminate the need for the loader to be removed when dumping. Definitely not the most professional placement but it should suit my needs for this year.

Ya, i think I'm going to go with the mesh tarp for a top so I have the option of removing it easily in the event I need to use the trailer to haul other stuff.

I'll be sure to post pics when I'm done!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Dave@VPS

Dave@VPS LawnSite Member

Billy goat leaf suckered mounted on 6ton dump trailer

8. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT LawnSite Senior Member

A few small changes and after a big breakdown we re back in business[​IMG]

9. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

Here you go.

10. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

Here is this years set up. I mounted the loader on front of my trailer. I was concerned about tongue weight but it seams to be working fine.

loader2013 1.JPG

loader2013 2.JPG