Where to blow debris

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jocko1104, Sep 28, 2002.

1. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

I usually just blow it in to the middle of the street but have gotten a coupleof dirty look from a few neighbors.

Do you guys actually sweep up all of the debris, clippings, etc... after a job? It just seems unnessacary.
  2. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Most of our goes back into the lawns. If there's alot of traffic, we might put it out and let the cars work on it more. If there's a large amount, we'll pick it up. It all depends on the individual circumstance.
  3. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Most of the time I blow every thing first, then mow. Anything left is just grass, and gets blown in the lawn. It sucks to blow twice, but everything is much cleaner.
  4. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Yeah, that is something we do sometimes too.
  5. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I sometimes blow twice. Once before (if necessary) and once after. Everything gets blown back into the lawn or swept up. I get upset when I go to a clients house and the other neighbors debris is blown in the street and the curb area of my clients property. It is more work for me to clean up their mess.
  6. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

We pick up every house every mowing.
    Two years ago, a homeowner was out picking up stuff in front and three companies including ours was working on the same street. We all copied and it has become the norm here. Even scrubs do it with their bare hands.
  7. hoagie

hoagie LawnSite Member

Blow twice... me too.

Every house, first thing, backpac the street and drive onto the lawn, trim, then bag it all up w/ the walker. Blow one more time quick if theres any stray clippings around. Leaves a much neater appearance.
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I try not to blow debris in the street, but sometimes it's unavoidable.

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

if i have any i dont mind if it goes in the street . a quik run with the mower at low rpm and its laying nicely where the pavement meets the grass. not noticeable.
  10. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

How many guys does that take? You get yours guys to pick up the house so you don't have to go through the small gate :laugh:
    Plus no trimming around the house:D

I do my trimming and blowing (especially now with the leaves falling) first.I blow everything into the lawn ,then mow. After I mow, there are only a little bit of grass clippings to be blown back into the lawn. It really doesn't take that much longer either. Yes, I am blowing twice, but the second time only takes very little time. I usually just let my mower cool down while I'm doing my last blowing (just a minute or two).

I don't blow anything into the street, it looks unprofessional to me, then again maybe I'm just too picky. Sometimes I will blow debris into the sewer drain (gutter) though.