Where to buy a reel mower

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by 95Z71, Aug 18, 2010.

1. 95Z71

95Z71 LawnSite Member

How much would a reel mower cost me and where do i buy it. I have bermuda and the push behind doesn't seem to do a very good job. Thanks

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

3. 95Z71

95Z71 LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply...and great idea on checking out some golf courses. Would I get the same results by using the cheap gasless reel mowers? Thanks

4. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Peachtree says they make their own version based on the design of the infamous California Trimmer.

http://www.reelmowers.net/

5. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

It really depends on your budget. The non gas ones suck. I wouldn't even waste my money unless you own a postage stamp.

McLane- this is what I use and gives a decent cut. I really do not care for it, but you can find them for 200-400 all day long on Craigslist. If that is all you had money for, than I would grab one. Not bad, but not great. Make sure you get at least a 7 blade. You can get a really beautiful yard with one of these. Most of neighbors use McLane and they have a great looking yard

Tru Cut- These are a step up from Mclane. Probably looking at 400-600+ On Craigslist and they are always up for sale as well. Again go for at least 7 blades.
    These are not as 'cheap' feeling as the Mclane

I used to cut greens at a golf course and we used the Toro Greensmaster. I think the course paid 8500 used for all of theirs. For a h/o, this is overkill. However, if you have the money, then go for it

Jacobsen, Peatchtree, John Deere all make top quality commercial reels but they come at a big time price.

6. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

This is the very best reel mower in the world right here:

California Trimmer
    [​IMG]

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I did have one of the Mclane human powered units. and it was a great mower for a small yard. but anything on 2000 sq, its a work out..

8. chaser2587

chaser2587 LawnSite Member

I have TruCut and I like it for the "slipping clutch". You don't have to fully engage the clutch so it's like having a gas pedal. This has a big advatange if your in a tight area or mow lawns that are sloped. Also the TruCut's are chain driven, where the McLane's are belt driven. But if you have deep pockets you can get a better brand... one that hasn't been mentioned yet is a Locke.

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

No. You will wear yourself out trying to cut bermuda with a push reel.

Check craigslist for used reel mowers, look for a Locke or a Tru-Cut....most golf courses will have mowers that are not geared to typical homeowners who cut at a height of .5" to 1.25" with a standard reel. Make sure you have a place local who can sharpen your mower.

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

This is what I own...a Legacy 30". The cut is great, but if you have a smaller lawn its difficult to operate, I would rather use a Tru-Cut.