Where to buy a reel mower

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by 95Z71, Aug 18, 2010.

1. chaser2587

chaser2587 LawnSite Member

Great Point Chris!!! There is some upkeep to a reel mower.

Also check out some of the local hardware stores. Some of them carry powered reel mowers.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure the place that sharpens has the capability to grind the reel.

If you sell a TruCut to a friend on LawnSite and buy a Trimmer style reel mower you will miss it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. chaser2587

chaser2587 LawnSite Member

You can also ask around on the forum. There may be a friend out there willing to sale you their reel mower!

4. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Not from a maintenance stand point they sure aren't. A royal pain to spin grind and relief. Search all of my posts about reel mowers, used sourcing, there is a lot of data I will not repeat here.

For limited homeowner use, especially with no experience in reel mowers, I'd recommend at heights between .75" to 1.5" to use a Hyiater Harriet rotary mower. Search Seagrove's web site as they are the importers now - excellent mowers that bag well at low heights and if you have trees or foreign matter all over your yard these work very well.

5. 95Z71

95Z71 LawnSite Member

Anyone interested in selling their reel mower? Found a few in Atlanta but nothing local here in Cabot, AR. Thanks

I think i'm leaning towards McLane since I can have it serviced here locally.

6. JL Lawncare

JL Lawncare LawnSite Member

I have a 25 inch tru cut with the roller for sale
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. 95Z71

95Z71 LawnSite Member

How much? I wish you were closer. Is it a 7 blade?

8. Cloud9Landscapes

Cloud9Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ca

I own the new Eastman 25" Reel that is roller drive. I also own a tru-cut 25" that is wheel drive. I personally find that the Trimmer/Eastman is not very hard to use, in fact I find that a tru-cut will drag you around. I can see the Tru-cut being useful for a small yard. My back lawn is only 300 sqf and I use my Eastman on it, it's easy enough to lift up the roller at the end of each pass. I know for certain that Eastman's reel and clutch assemblies are made way better than tru-cut's. My tru cut will jam up on thick zoysia where my trimmer won't. My Tru-cut's reel was once bent, never had that problem with Eastman or Trimmer. But the Tru-cut is way more maneuverable, but is heavier than the Eastman/Trimmer. I really hate Eastman's way of securing the grass catcher to the mower, it will be pushed into the reel if you hit a wall or bush. That means an embarrassing PITA for the operator.

I can guarantee you a reel will outperform any rotary, no matter how nice it is.

Once again, comparing Coke and Pepsi.

9. ebrowsershop

ebrowsershop LawnSite Member
    from florida

i am selling a reel mower - greenmaster 3050 riding mower, all you need are the reels.

toro 002.JPG

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

No, comparing Coke to water. A reel is by no doubt the only way to make bermuda look its best.
    Posted via Mobile Device