Where to buy bagged hardwood mulch in quantity?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by brucec32, Dec 29, 2006.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've read the posts on the pros/cons of bagged vs bulk mulch. It will come down to the actual price I get on bagged mulch in the quantity I need. The labor tradeoff vs higher cost could pretty much make it a wash on my property (hills, long distance to mulched area from drive, limited area to dump mulch, etc). My question is where does one buy bagged mulch (with delivery)in reasonably large quantities (12 yds)?

2. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

The only place I can think of Cowart Mulch Products.....I think you might be able to strike a deal if you are going to order at least a truck load. They will split the colors I am sure, to give you variety. It makes it so convenient to have product on site. I used them for my mulch, but I order a few hundred yards at a time, but in different colors. I have some very bootleg bins that do the job of keeping my mulch stored, and separated from the others. Bags cost more, but if you are like me, you will just pass on the cost.

3. Complete Lawn Care

Complete Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I just got 13 pallets from BWI Companies. Their deal is 1/2 truckload or more delivered now and no payment due til April (with approved credit of course). In fact I think the truck came from the Atlanta area.

4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

For these loads what are ya'll typically paying per yard? The company I used to work for used both but I wasn't in the office dealing with the papers and $.

$30 yd?

5. Complete Lawn Care

For a 3 cubic foot bag of Cypress Bark mulch I pay just under $5.00 per bag. It takes 9 bags to make a cubic yard so that would be $45 per yard.

For a 2 cubic foot bag of Red hardwood mulch, I pay about $2.25 per bag. This would be about $30.38 per yard.

6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

But is that buying individually from your supplier or buying pallets of mulch at a time. Buying pallets at a time is where I'm trying to see if you can really narrow down the price gap.

7. Complete Lawn Care

That is buying a minimum of 13 pallets at a time. Or what they consider a 1/2 truckload, and shipped direct from the manufacturer. There are 70 bags per pallet. I buy the same products locally for about $1.50 per bag more.

The manufacturer is Mulch Manufacturing Inc. and they have a location in Fargo, Georgia. 31631. (614)-864-4004. I did not buy from them. I went through a distributor. BWI Companies is my distributor.