Where to Buy Corn Gluten Meal Online?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by GeoPappas, Feb 15, 2005.

1. GeoPappas

GeoPappas LawnSite Member

I have spent the last two days trying to find corn gluten meal (CGM)(for a pre-emergent against crabgrass). There are only one or two local places that carry the CGM in a repackaged lawncare product that sells for about $25 for a 25 lb. bag. I would prefer to buy the product itself, rather than a repackaged lawncare product since the repackaging will just raise the cost (since there is another middleman to deal with).

I have called the local extension office, State Dept. of Agriculture, NC State, nurseries, hardware stores, etc. to no avail. This stuff is harder to find than a needle in a haystack!

I also checked the web, but the only hits that I get are for www.bluegrassorganic.com and www.GardensAlive.com (and a bunch of websites touting how good organic lawncare can be). Both of these sites only sell CGM in repackaged lawncare products.

Does anyone know of a website where I can just get the feed itself for a decent price?

FYI: I need a 50 lb. bag of CGM.
  2. pema

pema LawnSite Member

Try www.allstarTrading.com. I haven't used them but got a flier in the mail a week ago. I'm fortunate enough to have a retailer nearby that sells CGM to me at cost plus 10%. You might find a distributer for All Star Trading nearby.
  3. slib-q

slib-q LawnSite Member

What are you paying for the CGM in Cincinnati?
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You need to find you a feed store it...usually $7 a bag. The problem comes if you want it in a pretty package with all the legal stuff on it. Apparently there aren't a lot of companies with that distribution.
  5. GeoPappas

I have already tried all of the local feed stores. Most of them never heard of CGM, let alone carry it.

What is CGM normally used for? Is it used as a feed? If so, for what types of animals?
  6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Plenty available here in North Texas. It was really hyped as a great thing for a while. However, after people paid big bucks to buy the stuff for a few years, they found it is pretty much worthless at preventing weeds. Hardly anyone uses it here anymore.Everyone has stacks of bags gathering dust. If you have a semi truck, I can get you all you want to haul back and you can sell it to the gullible folks over there.
    Really, if you are desperate to get it, PM me and I can give you a phone number of my friend who owns a farm supply store here. I think he can even arrainge for a semi to deliver it to you.
  7. GeoPappas

Thanks for trying to hijaak my thread and turn it into an argument, but no thanks. As I posted in the beginning of this thread, I AM LOOKING FOR A WEBSITE THAT CAN PROVIDE A 50 LB. BAG OF PLAIN OLD CGM (NOT A REPACKAGED LAWNCARE PRODUCT).

Everyone else:

Please don't turn this thread into an argument about the pros and cons of CGM used as a pre-emergent. There are already plenty of threads out there that do this very well.
  8. pema

pema LawnSite Member

I don't buy much, only a few customers who "Insist" get a GCM treatment. I don't buy direct from a supplier so my price has middleman expenses in it so for a 50lb bag, I pay around $20.00.

I've had reasonable results with using CGM it's just with the rates you have to apply it is almost impractical for a commercial applicator. You would need a 20 ton semi to do your routes. Also the high levels of nitrogen applied so early in the spring gives me the willy's.
  9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Sorry, I must have hit a nerve there, just poking a little fun at you organic guys. However, my friend does get the stuff right from a mill here in town. It is not the repackaged stuff that you pay high price for at the stores. He was selling it by the pallet, at some reasonable prices to the landscapers before they quit using it. His price will likely be as good or better than any "online" supply house. He just likes to sell with a more personal method, like the old fashioned phone, or face to face. Not all the best deals are found "online".
  10. Dchall_San_Antonio

Dchall_San_Antonio LawnSite Senior Member

It's a dollar a pound in bulk in my area. Best prices I've heard of are in Ohio and Kentucky. I've heard of $7 per hundred pounds. Shipping will kill you.

I've heard of two different names and don't know the difference. I've heard of corn gluten meal and corn gluten feed. I have to do some more research. Some of the Dallas-based organic crowd swear that the corn gluten feed is worthless. I'm not convinced.