where to buy fert?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Aug 18, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Does anybody buy from fertilizer "manufacturers" instead of "distributors"? We're currently checking our usual sources (distributors) , but we also have two 'new' sources that we found at the Iowa State fair last week, and they want to provide quotes. Anybody else do this? rscvp, thanks :usflag::canadaflag:

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

When you're buying Nutrients PLUS by the truckload from me you are buying from the manufacturer. You can't buy by the pallet from Nutrients PLUS, but you can from me.

3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I thought he said he is looking for FERTILIZER! :laugh:

Hey American....I have some "stuff" that you can buy by the truckload also. It isn't fertilizer but will try and convince you it is....and it is cheaper also!

Just kidding Phasthound! :laugh:

Gotta have some fun!

4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Before I went liquid, I bought raw ingredients from an ag co-op. I'd show up, tell them what I wanted for my blend and they'd mix it up and fill up my truck bed.

Saved a fair amount of money up front, but the time wasted this way eventually ate the initial savings...

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I go straight to the cow. Skip the middle man.:laugh::laugh:

I used to buy from a manufacturer/blender, no middle man. It was great, till they went out of business. I was saving quite a bit of money.

6. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

American, I'd be interested in who you talked with...I didn't notice any wholesalers at the fair, then again, I didn't get to spend as much time as normal this year. I've also been talking with a couple of all liquid fert guys...Souix city area...not sure how they are going to compare pricewise yet. Gotta start exploring some diffent options than our "normal". Also been thinking of prebuying a couple of semi loads now to get the "semi load discount", which really isn't that much.

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Apparently they were selling, too cheap.

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Hi JLC -- I called both of them Monday. I won't mention the names, but one manufacturer (Wisconson) told me they only sell to distributors (UAP and D & K in central Iowa). The other sells direct -- they are a natural organic fert company, but after speaking with them I realized 2 things: 1) they have a very limited product selection, 2) their prices were higher than Tech Terra (phasthound represents them here on lawnsite, and he's a swell guy to deal with). So for me right now, I'll soon choose between UAP, Tech Terra, & JD Landscapes. Since fert prices have skyrocketed, I shop around much much more. I know it's a PIA for fert distributors, but I have no choice now.

9. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I too have found that many "manufacturers" will only deal with the middle man and not the end user. I buy truckload quantities like you Larry (not as many trucks)but I have found that distributers are the only way I can get fert. It stinks b/c I always thougth a trailer load cost the same to send to me or to the distributor but I guess the manufacturer is afraid to cut out the middle man.

I use phasthounds partner in CT for my organic based ferts. Good stuff great results and he too is a great person to deal with and very knowledgeable.

10. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Rob (in CT) is a great guy and a good friend.

For truck load buyers of Nutrients PLUS, buying from the rep gets you the same price as buying directly from the manufacturer. Nutrients PLUS is unique with it's infrastructure. You deal with the rep & the product is shipped direct to you from one of several bagging facilities nationwide, keeping shipping costs at a minimum. The drawback is we ask you to plan ahead to save money rather than drive in to pick up product on a whim. Hey, this costs you time and money, maybe it's not a drawback? When you buy from a stocking distributor, you are also paying for their warehouse & utilities, equipment, staff and advertising.

In addition to the lower prices, some reps may also supply other products in similar manner. And we are a great source of information, just like stocking distributors are.

OK, done patting myself on the back. :)