Where to buy mower engine tools.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DJL50, Sep 27, 2006.

1. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey!

I am going to take a class on small engine repair and need to find the best on-line source of special tools I will need to work on small engines. . I have wrenches and sockets and all the basics.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

What other tools are you looking for other than the basic ?
    Most all OEM's have a suppler for their special tools that can be ordered through them. Myself I only have a couple OEM tools and are not used that often, One can do most anything with basic hand tools along with all three drive sizes of torque wrenches and a few air tools.

Good Luck with your class.....

3. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

One thing you will have trouble locating is teflon tape for left handed threads.
    I have about given up on finding any in my little town.
    And then if it is metric on top of everything else, well...:laugh: :laugh:

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

www.goodson.com
    the best tool you will ever own is the ability to diagnose. I struggle with my tool everyday.

5. khouse

Goodsons has small engine tools but order the catalog because it's a lot easier to see all of them.

6. khouse

7. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking for the tool that you use to replace the valve springs and also the tool that holds the piston rings during the install process.

8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

You should be able to get a valve spring compressor and a ring retainer from any auto parts places like NAPA or AutoZone.