Where to buy narrow trenching shovels?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Mar 12, 2008.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Our present vendors do not carry any trenching shovels narrower than 4". I would think that there should be some 2-3" ones available. For obvious reasons, we would like to try some narrow ones.

Asking all the experts where to buy or preferred shovels of this type. We find a normal shovel may last half a season and then I have to rebuild it myself. Which is not a problem as they get a lot of use.

Thanks in advance for the assist.

2. Try John Deere Landscapes.
  3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

never seen a shovel narrower than 4" heck just take your 4" shovel and take a sawz-all or a grinder an knock off 1" on each side.... but I'd love to see some dig with a 2" shovel...gotta be pretty funny to watch...
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I have some 3-inch trenching shovels, but I think they were just cut down from regular shovels.
  5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

6. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

8. Ferti-man

Ferti-man LawnSite Senior Member

I was just at Home Depot picking up lumber for non irrigation job and noticed they have them. About $20 in my area. Rigid Brand. They had the 4" and the 5" as well.
  9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yup. My 3" is an older version (black with yellow handle).

Check this out. 1.75" clean out shovel (# NS 082FG) about 1/2 a screen down the page.

And another one at 1.5"

Also, last time I was at my micro supply house they had a clean out shovel with sides on it. The counter guy said he used it and it worked extremely well.
  10. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up some from our local supplier who sold us 2 - 3", 1 - 4", and 2 - 6" trenching shovels. Gave us a deal for all 5 for 175.00. They were all razorback and we have had great long-lasting shovels when we use razorback. I have never personally been a fan of trenching shovels 4" and smaller since all they seem to do is tear my boots up. But they do have their time and place especially cleaning out trenches from the walkbehind trenching where debris may have fallen.