where to buy ph kit?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by 2 clowns mowing, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

These are not probe readers, for what you said it looks like the 697-A looks like it will do just fine, anyone know what it cost?
  2. teamoneoutdoors

teamoneoutdoors LawnSite Member

Hanna Instruments makes a great ph meter. I picked mine up at the local farm supply and it gives great results. Costs about $185.00 but worth the money to me.
  3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Use distilled water which should have a pH of ~7. You should also be using distilled water with the Hanna probe as well. :)

We discussed pH probes over in the organic forum a while back.

4. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

LOL, yes, that is a given. Tap water has a lot of buffers in it that can skew the measurement.

I agree with Natty Lawn, pH is only a slice of the soil info pie, but still an important one. It helps sell the idea of a complete soil test, including organic matter content, micros and all the other good stuff a full soil analysis provides. Unfortunately, I cannot do a full soil workup on the tailgate of my pickup.... yet! :laugh:

I have found that educating clients and involving them as much as possible makes it easier for me to sell responsible applications of all types. But, I will not be pulled into another organic debate here in this forum.... and that was the bait Natty put out there. I'll pass.