Where to buy polymeric sand?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by nt1, Feb 22, 2007.

1. nt1

nt1 LawnSite Senior Member

Just finished installing a smallish 200 square foot brick patio.

It is time to compact and fill with joint sand.

Where can I find polymeric sand locally?

I have enough left over bedding sand, but from what I've read polymeric sand seems to be better for this final stage.

Also, should I compact pavers first, then fill with joint sand, then repeat
    Or, should I partially fill joints first, then compact, then repeat?

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

You will have to go to your local paver supplier to get the poly sand. You should compact the pavers prior to sweeping in sand. This is what starts the interlock process.

chris

3. nt1

nt1 LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you Cgland

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

sweep in, compact again, sweep again

5. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

According to spec books, you should compact, sweep, compact, final sweep

6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Hoskm01 - You are completely incorrect. Once your edge restraint is installed.....compact, sweep, compact, sweep, untill the joints are filled.

Chris

7. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

By saying compact again, that would imply that it had already been compacted. And of course you would sweep until the joints were full. So now we are on the same page.

8. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, thats what I said, in not so many words.

9. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I pick it up at our local stone supplier

10. tcalb2

tcalb2 LawnSite Member

I agree with everyones installation ideas, I've battled with two companies locally here with polymeric sand. Its a tough stage to do the finishing touches. I've used unilock and techni-seal products. Hands down I'd go with unilock any day of the week over techni-seal. I've used almost all of their products. Techni-seal's mixture of binder to sand sucks. Also don't forget to make sure you leave the sand alittle "1/8" of and inch to "1/4" of and inch below the pavers that will save you a nightmare the first rain they get. Also make sure that you put edging, sweep, compact, sweep and add more if you have to and then wet it down. The package says 3 times I wouldn't go any more then 4 times on a new installation because u want to wet the all the sand and the joints are pretty deep. And hah I'll keep going remeber that your going to have a haze on top of the block after things are all said and done. You didn't do anything wrong but the binder in the sand gets ontop of the block and leaves a haze which you'll have to clean at a later time with eflo-cleaner but thats a whole other thing ha good luck