1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where to buy retaining wall block

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by flykelley, May 4, 2008.

1. flykelley

flykelley LawnSite Member

Hi Guys
    I do not do Hardscape, but my wife wants me to install retaining wall around the flower beds in front of the house. She wants me to buy them at HD or Lowes. The run about $1.29 a block for a 12 inch split block. I want to buy them from my local landscaping supplier for $2.00 a block which are made by uniblock. I am of the mindset that the unblocks are a better quality block and will last longer and look better. So what are your thoughts, HD or the local Landscaping supplier? Why is one better than the other?

Thanks Mike
  2. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

do you mean Unilock? I would trust unilock over box store retaining wall block anyday.

The one I really like is Keystone.
  3. flykelley

Yes the brain wasn't work well this am. I did mean unilock. I will look at Keystone also.

Thanks Mike
  4. btnj47

btnj47 LawnSite Senior Member

If You Can Find A Techo-bloc Dealer I Would Use Them. Great Block Great Quality Awsome Look
  5. North Woods Hardscaper

North Woods Hardscaper LawnSite Member

I use nothing but Versa-Lok. They make em in your neighborhood at:

Grand Blanc Cement Products Co
    P.O. Box 585
    Grand Blanc, MI 48439
    (810) 742-5500 phone
  6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Mike, unilock or versilok or alanblock. All great blocks. Dont get that HD crap.

Check http://www.phoenixstoneco.com/

Its in MT. Clemens, but im almost positive it'd be worth it for you depending if your on a budget or not.
  7. flykelley

Hi Mark
    I ended up buying Fendt Garden wall. It is the same company that supplies the link above that you sent.

Thanks Mike
  8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Do you really need a retaining wall? Are you holding back soil, or just making a stone border along your flowerbeds?