Where to connect air??

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by nightshutter, Oct 23, 2011.

1. nightshutter

nightshutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from UT

I usually connect to the hose connection and its a piece of cake. Last year I ran into a place that had no back flow and no hose connection. Never seen any place around here with a quick connect. Im sure some have it but I havent been lucky enough to have a easier blowout. Where would/have you guys connected to. I will be going back to that place soon. Anyone ever hook up to the sprinkler body itself?

2. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Basement drain out.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Every sprinkler system that gets winterized should have a q.c. Rain-Bird 33DLRC is my choice and all our systems have them. Two-piece q.c. valves can be serviced, single piece are throw-aways.

4. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Time to install one.... And don't ghetto style it up alright?

5. nightshutter

from UT

none.

I will try and upsell a quick connect. I try to tell them there needs be be a place to connect the air, if not I will need to install a quick connect. But lets say they dont want it.

6. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

IF there not ASV's... Then you can connect to sprinkler head and blow backwords.. However your not getting all the water out.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

In ancient days, you could shut off the house water at the basement meter, and run the air through an outdoor hose bib. Then you shut off the system supply valve.

8. nightshutter

from UT

Thanks for the replies. Worse case scenario i will connect to the sprinkler body

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

If there is no place to hook up, maybe it has never been blown out in the past. I have plenty of systems that never get blown out, and are fine the next year, IF they are drained PROPERLY. But it sounds like you can't find any drains to attach too either.

10. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Just a thought... maybe you should "up sell" a backflow also.