Where to customers come from?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by danslawncare, Feb 25, 2005.

1. danslawncare

danslawncare LawnSite Member

When i drive down the rode, I always see a Landscapeing/Mowing company. Where do all the costumers come from? You seem to never hear of a LCO going out of business. Are you always taking other peoples clients? Are there that many new clients? When you get a call, are you taking someone elses clients?

Also, do you think that people want change even if your doing everything right?

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Halloween maybe........ :pumpkin:

3. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

LCO's do go out of buisness. Some move, retire, or accept another job.
    Also, customers die, change locations and have different expectations that are not always met.
    And don't forget all the customers that deal with beer guzling mullet heads that like to rule with an iron fist.

4. danslawncare

danslawncare LawnSite Member

What i'm getting at is, do you think that they'll always be work for us to do?

5. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I think there will always be plenty of work to go around. Just in my area alone there has been about 3,000 houses built in the last year or so. With lots more to come.

6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

An area can reach critical mass when that area becomes saturated with LCOs and like ventures. This soon leads to cut-throating and those unfamiliar with what their costs are soon go out of business.

You have to Provide service to your clients so that they are unwilling to switch to another company no matter what the price. I have had others target my clients and offer to do the job for 50% less than what I charge. No luck yet. 100% retention. Not going to divulge all of my secrets here, but I will give you a hint- it's the little things that matter most.

7. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I think there will always be work. I bet a quarter of the lco's we see out there are just temp until they find another job. This is also why I like to stay small. We are just a two man company, all we need to make a good living is 100 full service accounts. When you look at that number and consider we have around 400,000 homes in our metro area and who knows how many businesses with mowing needs. We hardly register on the market share screen and can still do good. Plus the population is getting older which should help our business.

8. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

coonman...when you say "good living", what exactly do you mean?

do you mean you still get to go on vacations and you save enough money to invest and retire someday? i am just curious. i always wanted to know how many accounts i'd need to live comfortably.

9. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, take vacations and invest money for retirement. I would never get rich from this, but I can do as good or better than working for a corporation. Our business is probably different than most on here. All we have is a few Toro 21's and trimmers etc. Insurance and a cheap storage warehouse. Most our advertising is word of mouth and a few doorhangers which we put out ourselves So we have very low operating costs. Around here I would be extremely lucky to find any job that would pay 40,000 a year. I can do much better than that in lawncare working 9 months. The the way I look at it is, what would I be making if I was not doing this. I come up with the same answer, probably not as much.

10. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

It's a dog eat dog world out there. It doesn't matter what business your in. If anyone thinks that "There are only so many customers out there and when there all spoken for,then we fight" your nuts. What does Wal Mart think about that? Do you think they are maxed out yet? The smartest and strongest go to the top and stay there. If you took all the money in the world and divided it up among everyone on earth, in a very short time the same smartest and strongest people would have it all back. Make yourself the smartest and strongest in what you are doing.